Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Agent of Change Journey in a Day

By Laurie Bower Epps

Many of you know that my Chloe is really into Girl Scouts. I was so surprised when we moved that she took the changing of her troop year so well. Since it was more than a 35 minute move away, we were simply getting home too late from our Tuesday meetings, as well as, since she's a rising middle schooler we're now tied up with the new school very often on the same night.

I learned after the transfer to the new troop, that she didn't have any of her journeys and she's always gotten her summit pin for each level of Girl Scouts. In about a week and a half, we managed to get all three journeys completed. Mostly, we used her Spring Break, and we reached out to our community to get them done.

Every year, there's a scouting university at our local Clemson University. It's a great way to get your scouts involved, and they do offer these all day workshops all over the country. So no matter where you live, you can find one close to you. 

Agent of Change talks about the power of teamwork, and it's a good lesson to teach your daughter about reaching out to help the community. Sometimes it's as simple as acceptance, working at a food bank, making cards for a retirement community, or planting a garden at your nearby community center.

Our local scouting event can be found by navigating to:
http://apoclemsonscouting.com.


There is a national site, or at least there was. I apologize, my browser just keeps navigating to the local one. Chloe's gone to it for a few years running, so it's probably used to the search. But I did discover in my fumbling around that you can google "Scouting Patches Workshops" and it does bring up workshops similar to this all over the country. Either look for the ones close to you, or add after the keywords AND plus your area. Example: "scouting patches workshops AND Chicago area." 

Happy Searching, my friends. I'm working on organization for the other two journeys that I did do myself with her. But with summer coming up, it might be a great time to catch up your daughter on her Girl Scout Journeys.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...