Friday, April 26, 2019

Spring Jubilee in Pendleton, Part 1

By Laurie Bower Epps

My fascination for the history of this region is in many way the genesis of this blog. I get to combine two things I love in one coherent piece. History has always been an important part of life. Growing up, my beloved grandmother E taught history in the local middle school, as well as, acted as the school librarian. In fourth grade, my elementary school had a history competition, and I was the first to call in almost every week. Although I didn't major in it, I'm sure it contributed to my love of history and historical fiction. To nurture this natural curiosity, I've volunteered to be a docent for this beauty with the local historical society.

Spring Jubilee

I've been wanting to go to Pendleton's Spring Jubilee, and my wanting to participate with the historical society, made this the perfect year to get started. This year marked the 41st year of the Spring Jubilee. I learned this by checking out their fan page on Facebook. Begun in 1978, the jubilee features artisans, musicians, and craftsmen from throughout the region. 

To learn more about it, check out their Facebook page for yourself:
https://www.facebook.com/SpringJubileeFestival/

My pictures are more subdued, since I took them when we were free from visitors at the plantation. Nonetheless, this historic horse farm has been restored to its former glory, but to its 1850 replication. There has been a residence on the property since the revolutionary war era. I did do a former blog here, and more information on the history can be found there.


My Fashion

Since I decided to attend the festival after hosting an open house of Astabula, I wanted to be comfortable. Lularoe seemed to be the perfect choice for ultimate comfort on this beautiful spring day. 

Everything I wore was very deliberate. From the spring flowers on my leggings to my butterfly necklace from the agricultural museum, all elements pointed to spring. The styles I'm wearing here are: Shirley (shrug), Carly (dress), and leggings all by Lularoe. I finished off my outfit with sparkly sandals from Sketchers with yoga memory foam. I purchased my sandals at Rack Room Shoes, but I've seen them a lot of other places.


One of the things that made this day so special, were all the flowers blooming on the property. An example would be these dogwoods outside the gift shop window.










Outback is the tavern and inn at Woodburn. It's not original to the site, but it does tell stories of revolutionary life. When you see the simplicity of the dwelling, especially on the inside, you can see how uncomfortable travel for a young man must of been. A young lady of the time period, would've had prior arrangements with family or dear friend all along her route to wherever she was going. It wouldn't of been appropriate for a lady to stay in one of these.


The oldest living thing on the property is a tree in the backyard. This tree, along with the driveway, are both original.

My little one even enjoyed sitting on the porch, and making up stories of what it used to be like in the "old days."







Chloe's Fashion

Chloe isn't a perfect fit in the girls department, nor is she a perfect fit in the ladies department. I used google to search for girls plus sized clothing. It turns out that Justice offers almost every style you can think of for a young lady online. Thanks to Apple Pay, just my thumbprint, and whatever I want to order arrives about 5 days later. To say the least, this could get dangerous. However, this dress in particular, is a favorite for Chloe. Probably due to the extremely comfy cotton knit. I must confess, I do love this picture of Chloe, even if I did take it.




All and all, it was a picture perfect day. I enjoyed talking with people from all over the country, and I even discovered an ice cream/coffee shop called Mama Rae's on the Square. The band in town was excellent, and Boy Scouts sold cold drinks for a dollar near the action. The Artists sold their wares around the square, and you could even take carriage rides around the historic district. It was a slice of old Americana.

If you ever come down South the first weekend in April, come on by Pendleton, South Carolina to sit a spell.

Come back next week, for part II fashion loves. Until next time, stay fashionable and be blessed,

Laurie











No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...