Tuesday, April 23, 2019

High Tea, Ballet, & Cowboys

Sleeping Beauty Boutique
By Laurie Bower Epps

Every summer, I get out the ballet schedules and have my youngest pick one for us to attend the next school year. Generally, Chloe has an aversion to exercise, so imagine my surprise when she asked to take classes herself over the holidays. Most studios do offer a free trial class, so if you're thinking of letting your son or daughter try it, keep that in mind. For this season, Chloe wanted to go to either Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Since Sleeping Beauty was closer to my birthday, it seemed to be the better choice. Also, Sleeping Beauty also had an accompanying tea, and that was my favorite event of the year when my middle child danced for the Santa Clarita Ballet Company out in California.

Columbia City Ballet is located at our state capitol. It was founded in 1961 by Ann Brodie, former dancer with the Radio City Music Hall. I chose this ballet company, partially because I always start close to home and then branch out. There are three professional ballet company here in the Upstate. The next closest are the Atlanta Ballet, and Columbia City Ballet. Plus, it's probably the most established ballet company in the state.

I don't know why it is that Americans have this weird idea that tea parties are for little girls. Truly, they're for anyone that likes tea. The line outside the tea, did have my youngest feeling self conscious about being older than most of the kids at the event. But just look, they did a beautiful job.

Before you start to feel sad for my ancient 10 year old, be assured that she got to drown her sorrows in punch and sweet cakes. What a spread they had! Of course, I did eat some little finger sandwiches and veggies first. But I did have to hold off on gobbling up my sweets to take this picture for all of you. With the fluidity of the hostesses, you could tell that they've done this before.

Note: For your anxious little ones, they were simultaneously letting the little girls make princess crowns.






Midway through our tea, ballerinas brought in huge baskets and gave each girl at the tea a Sleeping Beauty bracelet. The bracelet is perfect for the event too. The charms on the bangle included: a rose, a spinning wheel, and a disc that reads "once upon a dream." It did seem to break the ice for my little one. I'm sure it'll be a keepsake for years to come.


Chloe's Fashion: This dreamy, blush sequined, and white dress is from J.C. Penney.








After everyone had a chance to get their fill of sweets, they brought out the ballerinas. For those of you who were worried about me, I have, in fact, met Prince Charming.

My Fashion: Kimono Styled Dress is from Lane Bryant, and Sketcher Sandals from Rack Room Shoes.









After the tea, we attended the matinee performance, and even got to go backstage. There were so many wonderful pictures, it was hard to pick just a few.... But if you'd like to see them all, I will post them to my writer fan page on Facebook later this week. We got pictures with Aurora, Blue Bird, the Black Birds, the Prince, the King, some of the fairies, and even Maleficent!

There was a bit of a wait to go backstage, but it well worth it. 



I used to sell insurance down in Columbia, so we went out for a wonderful dinner at Cowboy Brazilian Steakhouse in downtown Columbia with friends. Wonderful company and great food led to a wonderful end to a wonderful day.

Tune in next week, and go with us on our adventure before heading home.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing !! I so need to do this with my daughter ��

    ReplyDelete

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...