Friday, April 19, 2019

Pickens County Museum of Art & History

By Laurie Bower Epps

Being a professor has given me the unique privilege of having a few days a week where I don't actually report to the office, so to speak. That doesn't mean there isn't work to be done, it just means I can work at my own pace, or in my pajamas, if necessary. A little known fact is that we do most of our work out of the classroom. But preparing for the classroom is what we thrive on.... However, after all the rain we've had, I couldn't resist the temptation of a beautiful spring-like day.

Still being the winter-time, most historical houses are also still closed up for the winter. This is limiting as a fashion blogger when using them as lovely backdrops, which is why I generally take January, and sometimes February off. What my readers don't see is this is probably my busiest time as a blogger due to research. Often, it starts with locations like this. Favorite research spots include: historical societies, research wings of the local libraries, and most counties have some sort of history museum. Some of my best ideas have come from the racks of tourist brochures in a hotel or chamber of commerce.

Housed in a 1903 Gaol, it's a unique experience to go to a museum that's actually in a jail. Converted to a museum in 2006, it's not to be missed if you're in the Upstate of South Carolina. Admission is free, and the museum is open from Tuesdays-Saturdays every week. 


For visitor information, check out:
http://www.visitpickenscounty.com/vendor/108/pickens-county-museum-of-art-history/


The artifacts are impressive. Housed in this free museum are everything from Indian arrowheads, and an entire wing on the Cherokee Towns that were dotted throughout the region. This would be a great field trip for school aged children learning about native americans.












I was most impressed with a case that had some revolutionary war muskets. I'm sure this is partially due to my love of revolutionary war history. These muskets most likely came from an English officer named Capt. John Hamilton. 














Pictured at the Central Station Cafe on My Birthday
I also learned more about my new town at the county museum than I did at our local historical society less than three miles from here. Our little town is only here due to the railroad, and you can see so much of it's influence all about you. Not only does my town still act as a roundhouse, but our towns name of Central actually was given to it by railroad workers. You see, we're exactly 133 miles from Atlanta or Charlotte, take your pick. Our main drag in town still parallels the railroad tracks, and most of the homes here were also built by the railroad. Thank goodness, I love trains. When I first heard the train horns after I first arrived, I remember that it seemed warming and made me instantly feel at home.

My Fashion

(above) Blush Knit Dress, style is named Carly, and long vest, style is named Joy
~ LulaRoe

(right) Black Knit Dress with grayscale feather print, style is named Carly, with a long, charcoal grey knit duster, style is called Sarah
~LulaRoe

Black Sandals with wedge heel by Sketchers
~Rack Room Shoes

My consultant's name is Lori Powell, and you can find her on Facebook with the search, LulaRoe Lori Powell. She's a doll, and I love her.


Chloe's Fashion

Peasant Blouse & Jeggings by Arizona
~JCPenney

Nike Tennis Shoes
~Kohl's 

She's having way too much fun, don't you think? sometimes her energy is contagious. That was definitely the case on this day.









You'll notice that I said it was a sunny day, but these pictures are obviously taken in the rain. Well, after taking my day trip, I realized that I had nobody that'd take my picture for my blog. So, when I picked up my little photographer from school, we drove back to museum for these few outside shots. Alas, I forgot that they are closed on Mondays, so my little photographer still hasn't seen the inside.

But on this day, we didn't let a little rain dampen our spirits.

Till next week, fashion-love's, 
Stay fashionable and be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...