Friday, April 12, 2019

Pickens Old Courthouse

By Laurie Bower Epps

My youngest and I moved just before Christmas, and in doing so, we changed the county that we live in. For this blog, it's opened up a whole wealth of new places to discover. My first fashion blog was on the Hagood-Mauldin House in Pickens which is now my county seat. The owner was a court judge, and being a time well before the automobile, travel in town would've been on foot or by horse. Therefore, I concluded that the courthouse and his home wouldn't be located all that far apart. Well, today they are roughly 20 minutes apart by car. I saw the courthouse accidentally when cross referencing something else on the Pickens County website, and hence, this entry was born.


History

Courthouses of this era were more a common building often shared with a school (not in this case), town hall, and church on Sunday's. This location was no exception and is often referred to as the Old Presbyterian Church in Pickens. Remnants of it's history predating the building itself are also noted on one of the plaques on the site. I also learned at the local history museum that the house from my first blog was relocated board by board to its current location. The Hagood-Mauldin House was originally also on the site.

Built in 1849-1850 in the common meeting house style of the time, the structure is still intact. However, on the date I visited, they weren't open yet. Like most historic structures in this region, they close up for the winter months. However, the grounds are open year round, and the church is surrounded by a cemetary with roughly 200 graves. It's amazing the peace you'll find when you visit though. They even have a picnic shelter in case you have the foresight to bring one. On the side of the picnic structure, you'll notice the quilt square that distinguishes this location as being part of the heritage quilt trail.

To find out more information, go to:
http://www.visitpickenscounty.com/vendor/100/old-pickens-presbyterian-church/

It was still a bit cold out, but this particular blog was sort of a run on the sunshine. Something about it peeking out it's golden droplets of sun seems to make us all a bit happier, and smile a bit bigger. So even though I was in my winter slacks and sweater, I was happy due to the first sign that spring is just around the corner.

My Fashion

Penguin Sweater & Tweed Slacks
~ Lane Bryant

Dansko Backless Mary Jane Shoes
~ G.B. Shoes


Chloe's Fashion

Coral Peasant Blouse & Jeggings
By Arizona Jean Company
~ J.C. Penney

I love the soft textures, and stretch components in the kids clothes today! It really does help them be more comfortable so they can continue to be kids. You'll notice the forced smile that's reminiscent of an eye roll. She's a pre-teen after all. That's part of the reason I'm separating the two columns. It's time that she have her own style, and her own voice.


I do hope to return to this site when it's warmer. I was wanting that one last photo, and it ended up being the best picture of the day. I love the textures of the bricks on the side of the church. Even though my daughter has taken over my old jacket from New Look from Ross Dress for Less, it's composition is very interesting. Dare I say, my old jacket looks better on her?

I'm glad that Spring finally seems like it's here to stay. More season appropriate blogs will be coming. Until then, stay fashionable & be blessed.

Laurie






No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...