Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reflections on My Skin

By Laurie Epps

Something about the carefree days of summer gets you to go outside, either to a park or to wade in a shallow stream. Whatever the case may be, this particular poem was written about a moment when I was waiting for my daughter to come out of swimming class and I was hanging out on a nearby swim. Something about the sun shining through the leaves spoke to me. I confess, I do have a love affair with light. Maybe some of you are afflicted with it? Please share with me if you are, I'd like to know I'm not alone.



Refracting on My Skin
By Laurie Epps

Sunlight breaking through the trees
A kaleidoscope of every shade of green
Refracting on my skin

Dancing across my pores in twilight
The sun is setting though it’s bright
Refracting on my skin

Leaning back in my swing
The treetops leading down to me
Nature engages it’s little darling
Refracting on my skin

Delighting in my soul and free
A simple moment transcends to me
Refracting on my skin

Laurie Epps is a senior at Anderson University majoring in Creative Writing. Already Laurie is most published as a feature article writer, essayist, and poet. A seeker of beauty and world traveler, Laurie hopes to grow into a career in travel writing illuminating the many stories that make us human despite our differences. Currently, Laurie also has a Monday Morning Book Club column dedicated to writers everywhere, and column called Fiction to Film that is an accompaniment to English 365 at Anderson University.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...