Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thoughtful Thursdays: A Poetic Column



April is National Poetry Month

Most of us as children remember being afraid of things that go bump in the night. Who didn't fear the monster under the bed, or worse, the one in the closet? Enjoy these delightful poems from Kenneth O'Shaunnessey and share them with your own kids.


Eyes Cream With Scary On Top
by Kenneth O'Shaunnessey

Mom called my brothers and me for dessert
We shot in like a cannon blast
I knew she was serving my favorite treat
And I did not want to be last
There, slopping out of our mammoth-skull bowls
Was that yummiest, oozy glop
Three towering dollops of cold eyes cream
With congealed scary on top
I gobbled it up like a monster should
Using all my fingers and toes
I ate it so fast that I choked real good
And gobs of it shot out my nose
I like to sling food at my brothers’ heads
But I love eyes cream so much more
So I used all my tongues and tails and teeth
And I licked it up off the floor
Now that my big furry belly was full
And I had swallowed every slurp
I flopped down in front of the monster box
And let out a monstrous burp
My brothers all burped out loud just like me
Then we started to scream and hop
"Bring us some more of our favorite stuff:
More eyes cream with scary on top!"

There Is Nothing Going On Upstairs
By Kenneth O'Shaunnessey

There is nothing going on upstairs.
I thought I heard the noise
Of little girls and boys
And their customary joys
But there's nothing going on upstairs.
There is nothing going on in the hall.
I thought I saw a form
That felt alive and warm
Like the air before a storm
But there's nothing going on in the hall.
There is nothing going on in the den.
I thought I felt the press
Of a little yellow dress
Or a pair of shorts or less
But there's nothing going on in the den.
There is nothing going on in the yard.
The leaves remain unstirred
Nothing bothers little bird
And my cry goes out unheard
But there's nothing going on in the yard.
There is something going on in the bed.
I see a little knee
And a lump where none should be
And they “boo” and frighten me
And there's something going on in the bed. 







Kenneth A O'Shaughnessy is a freelance writer and poet living in the upstate of South Carolina with his wife and four children. To find his daily poetry entries, log onto: http://badbadboypublications.bandcamp.com/ 
For more information on Kenneth O'Shaunnessey, see my guest blogger tab above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...