Thursday, April 25, 2013

Recovery

Thoughtful Thursdays: A Poetic Column

April is National Poetry Month

Not all poetry is happy. I think of tragedy as leading to the most powerful and sublime of all poetry. We have all had our struggles. The first five years I lived in South Carolina, I was always sick. I grieved three miscarriages, and had numerous surgeries. This poem is a reflection about one of them.




Recovery
By Laurie Epps

Summer without shorts
Is a summer of forts
It’s enough to make you insane
You must rebuild to gain
Your strength again

Flicker, Flicker in the night
The fireflies glowing so bright
The summer will not wait
We’ll sneak out past the gate
To dance in their glow
For no one will know

In my nightgown I will creep
To find childish magic I seek
With my daughter’s embrace
True magic lights her face
Just one taste of frivolity
Won’t be a catastrophe

Back to my infirmary bed
Sewing pictures with embroidery thread
Hoping I can dance too
And share more memories with you
Every day that I rise
Becoming more and more wise

Walks with a dear friend at night
Along with me, are quite a sight
In the extreme summer heat
My walking gait is not neat
My body is building forts
To combat these long summers
Without shorts

~ Written: July 12, 2006 


Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. To read more of Laurie's stories come back Mondays for her Monday Morning Book Club, or you can also visit her Tuesday column dedicated to writing at: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...