Thursday, April 18, 2013

My Daughter's Favorite Poem

April is National Poetry Month

As a child, I loved poetry. This month's  poetry is for a new generation of readers. Children just love the use of rhyme in a poem. I wrote this quaint little poem for my daughters, and they always ask me to recite it to them. It is close to my heart. So for my daughters, especially Ellen Brooke, this poem is cheerfully dedicated.
~ Love, Mom





Barry the Elf
By Laurie Epps

Barry the fairy
Was really an elf
Although he was merry
He remained true to himself

Barry hated the garden
He far preferred the wood
As high as a mushroom
Was the height that he stood

The trees were his sanctuary
A fine place to play
He’d rush though the garden
On most any day

One day was different
He noticed the garden to be bright and tidy
A beautiful fairy flew by
And he said, “Hmmph, she’s high and mighty!”

The fairy glanced back demurely
But Barry misunderstood
He feared she was angry,
And retreated to the wood




Barry once again would play
With his friends of the wood
Never absent from his mind
Was the way the fairy stood

She floated on the air
It must be those lovely wings
The dragonfly’s wings were similar
But I doubt she can sing!

“We elves are known for our song.”
Can it really be?
That perhaps fairies may sing too
And remain merry as we?



Being different is ok
Barry decided one fine day
If we can respect each other
Then, all of us can play!

So Barry got together
With all of his friends
And they planned a huge banquet
Inviting the fairies to attend

~ written, April 26, 2006


Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. To read more of Laurie's stories visit her Tuesday column dedicated to writing at: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...