Friday, March 30, 2018

The Swan House in Atlanta

By Laurie Bower Epps

Many don't know that I'm really from Atlanta. Somehow, as I've gotten older, it just seems to be natural that I'd go home to the place of my birth for my birthday. This year is exciting because it marked my 50th birthday. I'm fortunate enough to still have my dad with me, so I got include my dad in the celebration. My dad is 90 years old, so in a way, it was his birthday too. Dad let me pick where we were going, and I have a running laundry list of places that I'd like to go. My brother was sweet enough to offer me passes to the visit the Swan House which put it on the top of my list.


Pictured in the library

Fashion

I chose to wear this dress from JM Studio by John Meyer because I thought dad would like it. The dress is a slightly heavier weight than my other spring dresses, and with the snap of cold we've been having down south it seemed sort of perfect. I just love the black & white look for spring dresses anyway. Best of all, I got it at Ross Dress for Less so it was easy on the wallet too.

I knew that I needed comfy shoes for walking, so I selected my classic saleslady shoes. I did injure my heel at work, so I've had to go backless with all my footwear. With this blog/adventure, I'm wearing black Mary Jane slip-on's from Dansko. I bought these at GB Shoes, but I'm sure you can look online where to find them. They are more comfortable and offer more support than a pair of sneakers. The only trouble I've ever had with them is breaking in the upper leather of the shoes. But never have they hurt the arches of my feet, or not offered me enough support.

Chloe is pretty in pink in her peasant style dress. We found it quite by accident. Her big sissy was shopping for dresses at Target, and this was the last dress like it. One glance and I thought it'd fit my Chloe. I fell in love with the asian inspired floral, and it's quickly become a favorite for her. Having the sleeve has also offered a bit more warmth than the typical spring dress. Her shoes are from a brand called "Y-Not?" which we found at Shoe Carnival. Both of us are a bit anxious for it to warm up so we can wear our sundresses and flip-flops.

Chloe looked perfect with the grand staircases located both inside and outside of the Swan House. The back of the house might look familiar from the Hunger Games movies. I just couldn't resist a visit when it's so close by.

Daddy & I at Smith Plantation
Visitor Information

The Swan House is located in the Atlanta History Center. It's part of a huge complex complete with a history museum, gardens, the Smith Plantation, and the Swan House. I most wanted to see the Swan House, so of course it was located all the way in the back of this big complex. This is a fact I wish I'd of known in advance traveling with a 90 year old and asthmatic 9 year old. It may not have made much difference, but I'd of liked to know just the same.




In Our Restaurant
The Atlanta History Center
130 West Paces Ferry Road NW
Atlanta, GA 30305
(404)814-4000
atlantahistorycenter.com

Somehow, I stared at the admission price when we first arrived, and it's $21.50 per person to get in. But they do offer senior, military, and student discounts so I'd plan on $20 per person if traveling with a family. There are 3 restaurants on campus, but only one of them was open on a Sunday. So don't worry if hunger strikes... they've got you covered.





Taking a break
There is a nice meandering path that connects all the different sites, and it includes many benches along the way. Most of the trails are under a canopy of trees which is nice since it does protect you a bit from elements like rain, wind, or heat. I do hope to return in my sneakers and dressed a little bit more comfortably and really explore the grounds further. It really was very well laid out.

Pictured here my daughter and dad are taking a break. Chloe is his youngest grandchild.




The Swan House: History 

Originally owned by the wealthy businessman Edward Inman, who had the house built for his wife Emily who was well received in Atlanta society. Edward came from money of the "New South" era and was the sole heir to a large cotton brokerage. Don't be deceived. Edward was wealthy in his own right, who had interests in real estate, transportation, and banking. Emily was most known for philanthropy, and was a very prominent member of Atlanta society.

Situated about six miles north of downtown in the Buckhead district, the Swan House was also very accessible to most of Atlanta. The house was designed by architect Philip Trammell Shutze, as well as, he commissioned the gardens. Shutze was trained almost equally in England and Italy in addition to his coursework in the states, so you see both of those influences widely used in both the residence and grounds.

The Inmans moved into the home in 1928, and largely the home was built to please Emily Inman as a gift from her husband. Unfortunately, just three years later, tragedy struck and Edward dropped dead from a heart attack at the young age of 49. Emily stayed on at the home, but due to grief and loneliness she invited their eldest son Hugh and his wife Mildred to live with her there. They moved in with their children Sam and Mimi. At that point, the elegant retreat her husband built became a home for all three generations.

Emily stayed in her home till she passed away at the tender age of 84 in 1965. The Atlanta Historical Society purchased the home, grounds, and all furnishings in 1966. The following year, the Swan House was opened to the public. The home was fully restored in 2004 to the condition you see today, and is still largely manned by volunteers. You can check with the desk about behind the scenes tours daily at 4 pm for availability.

I just loved the spiral staircase. It spoke to me and my daughter. Chloe loved going up and down the stairs and pretended to be a princess. (Just as I would of done at her age.) They also had little touches like old timey music playing from a transistor radio (below the staircase). So I took this picture just to show the attention to detail in every aspect of it.

Chloe actually giggled, "Remind me not to look down!"








The Swan House is actually a nickname that's coined due to all the Swans that decorate most of the house. You found hidden swans on the wallpaper, or underneath the table (as pictured). As a fun scavenger hunt, you can ask your kids to find the swans.







Daddy took momma to visit the Swan House back in the day, so he wanted to have us take a picture in the same spot. He told us about a restaurant that was once at the Swan House. It may still be there, but being a Sunday, it wasn't open. I remember too as a child seeing pictures of this house on the Atlanta Decorator Homes programs, and in the playbill for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. Funny, all those memories, and I didn't know or question where that home was located. Now I can say that I've been there and it's even better than I ever dreamed it would be. The house is right out of Gatsby or a fairy tale.

But the back is especially stunning. They allow you to take pictures, and almost encourage it! We saw a number of people with the same idea. A family taking their pictures up the back steps, a gorgeous young woman dressed like a grecian goddess.... and us. I did manage to get a gorgeous picture of my daddy. He looked so regal in his suit and clerical collar. If I do say so, not too bad for 90. Daddy was born only a year before this home was built. 







As for me, this adventure was the last day of my 40s. Now 50, I'm still looking to uncover some new uncovered corner of my area. I'm always a tourist. I just have that spirit. Thank you for sharing my adventures with me. I've really enjoyed sharing fashion and history with all of you. 

Looking ahead: This summer, I'm going on a series of adventures throughout Virginia. Sorta an adventure with our founding fathers. Stay tuned. I hope to roll out those blogs this August.



For now, this proved to be a perfect way to spend my 50th Birthday Eve. It was the perfect outing for daddy, Chloe, and me. 

Just for fun: Enter in the comments either here on my blog or on my Facebook writer fan page your personal favorite Fashion Fridays blog post. If you subscribe to this blog also, you'll be entered in a drawing to win a prize just for doing that! Winners will be announced April 9th at 9 PM EST. I'm still adding to the collection of prizes, but just wanted to say thank you for making this blog possible.

Until next time, stay fashionable and be blessed,

Love, 
Laurie

1 comment:

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...