Friday, December 1, 2017

The Burt-Stark Mansion

By Laurie Bower-Epps

My love affair with the town of Abbeville, SC began as a salesperson a couple of years ago. I deliberately would drive through Abbeville, even if it was out of the way on the way to nearby Greenwood, SC. Right in the middle of a bird's foot shaped intersection sits the stately Burt-Stark Mansion, and I promised myself that I'd see the inside of this historic home if it's the last thing I do.

My last trip to Abbeville, my youngest and I went to the Abbeville Opera House to watch a play. I read in a travel brochure for Michelin employees that I really needed to stop into a place called Yoder's Dutch Oven. There actually is a Mennonite community in this small community, and the food is superb every place that I've eaten. However, this proved to be a very different and wonderful trip. Abbeville didn't disappoint us. I'd recommend a visit to this quaint southern town if you have the leisure of road tripping in the southeast.



Abbeville

Abbeville has a bustling history that will keep us amatuer historians entertained for months worth of reading. Abbeville is the birthplace and death bed of the Confederacy. South Carolina was the first state to secede from the Union. The meetings over brandy and cigars to create the Confederacy happened across town from the mansion I toured today. Documents were drawn up with the sentiment of their intentions to secede from the Union to evade northern tyranny were signed in the same style and spirit of the Declaration of Independence. They are hung proudly in the Burt-Stark Mansion for visitors to view. You'll also find pictures of Jefferson Davis since he lived for a short time in the mansion. 


View From The Balcony
The Burt-Stark Mansion

Most historic homes have a claim to fame, or else they'd of been destroyed for track homes or an outdoor strip mall. What puts the Burt-Stark Mansion on the map is the night that Jefferson Davis slept there and decided that, "Indeed, all is lost." From his short stay in the home Davis proclaimed the intentions of the Confederacy to surrender to the North. So there are pictures of Jefferson Davis and his wife along with the family portraits of the families that resided there.





Brief History

The Burt-Stark Mansion was originally purchased in the 1830s by David Lesly. Through the years, it passed through a lot of hands but finally was purchased in 1900 by Armistead Burt, a congressman for SC at the time. In most ways, Burt already owned the home when Jefferson Davis stayed there, but the actual bill of sale was dated 1900. The sisters who stayed in the home until it was given to the Abbeville Preservation Society were known throughout the region for their elegant parties. They were also known to really "enjoy their money." All and all, my assessment is that I'd of loved to have known these ladies. At one point, our tour guide allowed my youngest to see one of their dresses up close. Chloe selected the plum colored crushed velvet dress with the dropped waistline and 20s style. I would've loved to accept a glass of champagne from the elegant lady in that gorgeous dress!

For more historical information, go to:
http://discoversouthcarolina.com/articles/historic-burt-stark-mansion

Chloe's Fashion

Royal Blue "Randy" top
& Neon Aztec Print Leggings
~ LuLaRoe

Brown Arizona Brand Booties
~ J.C. Penney

We are loving the versatility of the sizing of LuLaRoe. You see Chloe's not truly in Girl's sizes or in Ladies yet. She sort of in between. Although these leggings are One-Size, she has just as many that are Tween. The give of the fabulous knit fabrics gives with her as she goes up and down in sizes with her pre-pubescent body it's a must that she must be comfortable as well to do all the things kids do. 


My Fashion

Floriental Top
& Black Pencil Pants
by Simply Vera, Vera Wang
~ Kohl's

Black Lace Shouldered Cardigan
~ Lane Bryant

Black Textured Ballet Flats
by Montana
~ Dillard's

I love the ease of this outfit. It's comfortable yet slenderizing. My ballet flats were on clearance and such a good deal, I bought them in beige also. We definitely were looking for a comfortable yet stylish approach to dress for this adventure.

Visitor Information

The Burt-Stark Mansion is located at:
400 N. Main Street
Abbeville, SC 29620
(864)366-0166

Regular Tours are available to the public for a suggested donation of $10 per person on Friday & Saturday afternoons. They'll also book private tours on the weekends if you contact them and make arrangements. 

For More Information, go to:
http://www.burtstark.com/

Chloe is pictured above with our tour guide, who recommended the Village Grille and it was superb. As a docent, he informed us early on that there were to be no picture taking inside the home, which was disappointing to say the least. Sort of the whole point of a fashion blog is visual. This blog was also intended to be the kick-off to my holiday season, so we went into town for a picture beside the large tree.

Chloe just loves Christmas trees much like I do, as her mother, or the main character "Kevin" from the Home Alone movies. We did miss the Dickens Family Christmas Festival, they were packing up. However, I did get some Apple Butter and homemade fruit cake for my father in a Mennonite store, and we discovered a used bookstore on the way to dinner. Abbeville, we will definitely be back. I hope you enjoyed this walk back in time with us.

Tune in next week for a trip to historic Roswell, GA which was decked out in style. Till next time, find yourself your own adventure and be blessed.

Love,
Laurie    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...