Friday, November 10, 2017

Watson Mill Bridge State Park

By Laurie Bower Epps

Sorry I took a week off to plan entries for the holidays. I really hope you'll be inspired. This outing, my youngest and I set out for my home state of Georgia. To give you a little geography of my area, we're actually closer to the Northern Georgia than most of our own state. In my Georgia tourism brochures, I just felt inspired by this old bridge. Though excruciating, I did wait for the fall to see it in its grandest light.



History

Watson Mill Bridge is the longest covered bridge in the state of Georgia. The bridge spans 229 feet across the South Fork River. Built in 1885 by Washington (W.W.) King who was the son of a freed slave. Their family become well known throughout the state of Georgia for their bridge building. Washington was the son of Horace King who was commissioned as the actual bridge builder.

Across the state of Georgia, there were more than 200 covered bridges at one time, which may seem hard to believe now, given that today there are less than 20. Watson Mill was once a city onto itself, and maintained it's status for over 100 years. The bridge was built to allow access to the original Watson Mill, which provided water power to the saw and grist mills. The first buildings of the mill were built by Gabriel Watson in 1798. Watson was known as a kind hearted man with a great business sense, and rented out plots within his property for the mini-city of with a mercantile and other businesses that cropped up around his original buildings. The property did change hands among his heirs until the mill fell prey to technology in 1900. Gabriel's descendants did live on the property until the late 50s, but due to a division of the estate, it was donated to the state of Georgia in 1971.

To learn more about the Watson Mill Bridge State Park, visit:



My Fashion

Teal Blue Peasant Blouse by Sonoma
~ Kohl's

Dark Blue Trouser Jeans
~ Lane Bryant

Tan Colored Country Girl Boots
~ Clark's (Outlet)

I actually wore this outfit to Charlotte a week earlier, and liked the pictures of myself in it, so I chose it deliberately for this blog. Also, it's ease and comfort were perfect for a fall day in the country.


Chloe's Fashion

Teal Blue Sonoma Graphic Tee
~ Kohl's

Arizona Brand Jeans & Arizona Boots
~ J.C. Penney

I think to a degree, Chloe wanted to match mommy but she's much cuter. I also was surprised that though she bought two other outfits, she still didn't want to part with the "Explore Nature" tee. I'm usually reluctant to buy a top without a bottom, but she promised to wear it with the jeans that didn't have a top.


Adventure

This adventure was more fun than usual since it seemed like Chloe sort of came into herself, and I saw her unplug long enough to climb around on the rocks and discover the beauty of nature herself. In fact, she said it was her favorite outing with me so far.

You'll notice in the picture that I chose, it looks almost like Chloe is walking on water. I loved that in these few moments I did see a bit of myself in my youngest. I spent most of my childhood climbing around the creek behind my family's home in the suburbs of Atlanta.



Travel Information

It's free to visit the state park. However, there's a few things to keep in mind when planning a trip there. There are numerous bridges out in the Lake Hartwell and Lake Russell areas, so expect delays due to construction. There are some glitches in the operation of GPS, but once you get within 7-10 miles of the state park, there are signs to guide you. Also, this park isn't open in the winter months at all. So to visit the site, you need to plan your visit between March 1st and November 30th. It is a great spot for pictures, and be prepared to be asked to either move out of the way or become an impromptu photographer yourself. I did count at least three couples taking engagement photos the day of our outing.

To plan your visit, set your GPS to:
Watson Mill Bridge State Park
650 Watson Mill Road
Comer, GA 30629
(706)783-5349

The park is also available for weddings and family reunions, but you'll have to call the ranger on your own about that. I confess, I headed out on this particular fashion adventure a little stressed out but within minutes of being in this park, I had completely decompressed.

Holidays

I'm really excited this year to bring the holidays to all of you. Last year, I only offered my reader's two holiday blogs, and this year, I hope to keep blogging for a full month of all things Christmas. My holiday blogs officially kick off the day after Thanksgiving on November 24th.

Until next time fashion-love's, stay fashionable and be blessed.

Love,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...