Friday, December 22, 2017

Hometown Christmas

By Laurie Bower Epps

I confess, when I first moved here, I thought it'd be a temporary move. Born in Atlanta, and raised there till the age of nine, I thought I was merely migrating back home from California. I lived in California for roughly 28 years. Mostly in a town called Santa Clarita about an hour Northwest of Los Angeles. I loved California, and despite some of the negative publicity, I thrived out there. However, I did work on a produce farm and was somewhat protected from "the industry" as show business is called from Angelino's.

That's not to say that being much closer to home doesn't have it's fair share of merits, because it does. To boast, this region is rich in colonial history and draws more of its roots in the Revolutionary War than most realize. Not to mention the rich food, and hospitality that the South is so known for. I confess, I too, now "bless your little heart" and drink my fair share of sweet tea. 

Geographically speaking, this part of the country is splendid for some of the most picturesque hiking trails that I've seen in this country. From mountains (where I live) to midlands and even the low country (coast), there's definitely no shortage of new places to explore. Part of what has kept my posts coming in the infinite amount of new material.


Geography

Situated halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte is the sleepy little town of Anderson, SC. A mere 20 minutes from historic Pendleton, SC or 30 minutes from Clemson University, geographically, we have easy access to the bulk of the South. Known for water, there are three nearby lakes but our closest access would be Lake Hartwell. This whole corridor near the I-85 freeway is known as the Piedmont. The Upstate also boasts the highest concentration of waterfalls in the United States. Being adjacent to the Blue Ridge Mountains and a stonesthrow from the Appalachian Trail, it's no wonder so many nature enthusiasts chose the Upstate as their home base.


History

Anderson is the county seat for Anderson County. Founded in 1826, and incorporated in 1828, originally it intended to set itself apart from the Pendleton District (founded 1790). Named Anderson after General Anderson of the Revolutionary War, the war hero had explored the area in the middle of the 18th century.

Outside the courthouse in the middle of the historic district is a statue of William C. Whitner, one of the original founding fathers of Anderson. Known as coining Anderson, "Electric City," tourists and townsfolk often take pictures with ole Willie. Pictured here at the right is my fellow fashion blogger, Dana Evans. It's largely due to her blog, that my blog even exists.

To view Dana's blog, go to:
http://danasfashionfaze.blogspot.com/

My Daughter's Favorite PHoto
Christmas in Anderson

With the spirit of Norman Rockwell's Americana, Anderson is one of the prettiest towns I've ever seen at Christmas. Not one street pole goes undecked for the holidays. The entire town glows red, gold, and green. So when my middle daughter wanted holiday pictures with her boyfriend, I just couldn't resist!!! Since they both work in retail, capturing these pictures had to be quick. Not to mention, they brought their dog, Arwen. For you photographers out there, you know that pets typically don't cooperate!!!



We started this adventure near the house before venturing downtown. There's an abandoned gas station/mini-mart, and as crazy as this sounds, I've been wanting to take pictures there for months. With this opportunity, I couldn't resist trying it out. Ironically, Rankin's Grocery is already painted red & green, so it still seemed kinda perfect.


Photographer Fashion

Cranberry Sweater by Sonoma
~ Kohl's

Purple Feathered Tee, SJS Designs
~ Ross Dress For Less

Bluejean Trousers
~ Lane Bryant

Brown Countrywoman Boots By Clarks

I dressed largely for ease, comfort, and warmth. So far, this has been the coldest winter I've experienced here.


Fashion: Red Sweaters

Ellen's Sweater
~ NY & Co.

Anthony's Sweater
~ Big & Tall, JC Penney

Arwen's Sweater,
~ Ellen DeGeneres, PetsMart

Pictured here adjacent to our little outdoor ice skating rink. I wish I hadn't cut off the ice skates tree topper. It was just adorable. But this is a great showing off of their fabulous sweaters.





I'd like to say that I hope your Christmas is full of wonderful surprises, and time spent with loved ones. Wishing you a season full of wonder.

From my family to yours,
Merry Christmas.

Till next time, be fashionable, and be blessed.

Love, 
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...