Friday, October 6, 2017

Walnut Grove Plantation (SC)

By Laurie Bower Epps

When my middle child was in school, I homeschooled her so she could continue to take ballet. Once we were on the east coast, I'd already learned that it was a good practice to become more involved with other homeschoolers in the community. A frequent haunt was the Walnut Grove Plantation in Roebuck, SC. Nestled up in Spartanburg County, this revolutionary gem is waiting to be discovered.

 
History 

Charles & Mary Moore established this plantation in about 1767. Throughout the revolutionary war and beyond, together they raised 10 children and lived on this site for more than 40 years. The Moore's were well known patriots, and relied heavily on enslaved African Americans and their large family to work the farm. Just prior to the Battle of Cowpens, local militia mustered at the plantation and went on to fight in the battle a few days later. Cowpens, as you may remember from a prior blog, was the turning point of the Revolutionary War. In Novemeber 1781, William "Bloody Bill" Cunningham raided the plantation to purge out a patriot soldier, take him into custody, and kill him. Mission completed, the legendary Tory moved on.

To read more on the history of the Walnut Grove Plantation, go the the 
Spartanburg Historical Society's webpage.

My Fashion 

White "Lynnae" Long Sleeved Top,
Royal Blue "Joy" Lace vest,  and
Periwinkle Classic Mickey/Minnie Leggings
~ LuLaRoe

Blue Suede Shoes
~ Clarks Shoes

Bohemian Turquoise & Disc Necklace
and Bracelet
~ Paparazzi Jewelry






Chloe's Fashion
(864)
Ladies "Classic T" and "Tween" leggings
~LuLaRoe
 
Black Sparkly Sandals
~ Shoe Carnival 


Every time Chloe wears these leggings, I call her my little hamburgalar. It sort of reminds everyone that I am a child of the 70s & 80s. I had to show her the character on you tube.



Visitor Information 

Walnut Grove Plantation
1200 Otts Shoals Road
Roebuck, SC 
(864)576-6546 

The Walnut Grove Plantation is open daily except Mondays, May - October. In the winter months, the plantation goes to a weekends only schedule. They're also having Festifall this weekend, so if you're in the area, you should check it out.

http://www.spartanburghistory.org/calendar/2017/10/7/festifall-at-walnut-grove-plantation



The Price House
The Price House 

Originally, my daughter and I set out to go to the Price House, a nearby home of the same era that doubled as a post office. However, we found the house closed, and from local historians, learned of it's sorted history. Nicknamed "The Monkey House," it is rumored that the circus broke down in front of the Price House. Local legend says that there is at least one monkey, and some say up to three monkeys that haunt the place especially on the third floor. Poltergeist activity is the mainstay of what's reported. Others say that there's a young woman that cries in the yard, and seems incredibly sad. One said they thought she's waiting for a lost love, and another said they didn't know why she's there.  But the scariest story of all says that if you park halfway on the nearby bridge over the Tyger River and honk your car horn seven times that you see the Devil himself. Not something that this fashion blogger is willing to trifle with.

Thankfully, the Price House was closed on the day that I went by, but yet, I'd love to go back too. The historians I talked to said that I can ask the director to gain entry. Perhaps for a future blog. But I hope you all enjoyed my "ghost stories." Be back next week for more.

Until Next time, stay fashionable and stay blessed,
Laurie

Ellen D. Everitt Bower 1934-1996

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Mother, in honor of birthday (October 7th) this blog is cheerfully dedicated. I love you, mom. Happy Birthday! Keep smiling on me from above. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...