Friday, October 20, 2017

The Hauntingly Beautiful Robert Mills House

By Laurie Bower Epps

As many of you know, I'm also a Girl Scout leader. So when a Cemetery Hunt was in the statewide magazine as an outing with the girls, I couldn't resist. But as many a blogger will tell you, things didn't go as smoothly as they could've gone. Columbia, South Carolina is roughly two hours away and coupled with some really bad traffic due to construction and a car accident, we arrived roughly ten minutes late. Alas, the tour had already left, and we spent the bulk of our day trying to track them down. When we did finally find the
m, the tour was about to conclude, and there seemed no point to me to continue on anyway. When my daughter came to me whining from wearing the flip-flops I told her not to wear, and hungry, we set off on an adventure all our own.

Since I noticed that our starting point had my creative juices flowing, I decided to head back there and get a few pictures for all of you. Of course, we found out the last tour had also already left, and we decided to take advantage of the fact the grounds were still available for a couple more hours.



History

Robert Mills designed the home originally for Ainsley & Sarah Hall. Ainsley was a prominent merchant in the area, and was eager to have the classical revival style townhome near where he did most of his trading. In 1823, the young couple set up housekeeping. Less than 15 years later, Ainsley passed away, and Sarah put up the house for sale because she didn't want to reside there without her beloved.

The house was sold to the Presbyterian Synod for Georgia and South Carolina, which established a seminary there by 1831. This started the educational chapter of the homes history. Later, the home was purchased by the Columbia Bible College but left for demolition in 1960. Historians and activists were able to preserve the home, and began restoration work for future generations like ours.



Visitor Information

Address:
1616 Blanding Street
Columbia, SC 29201
(803)252-1770

Located in the heart of Columbia's Historic District, the Robert Mills House and Gardens is open from roughly 10 am-4 pm, Tuesday-Saturday, and 1-4 pm on Sundays. Tours are limited to two times a day, and when I was there the times varied from the times indicated on the website. It may pay to call ahead. This historic home is also available for rent or hire for parties, and weddings.





Fashion

Black Dress & Sweater with Black Lace Shoulders
~ Lane Bryant

Black Patent Leather Sandals by Ekko
~ Dillard's

This outfit is proof that often times, simplicity is best. I love the dramatic effect of the cut of the dress.

My young daughter said that I look like a painting in this photo, so I had to share it with all of you.



Fashion Adventure

Since the few friends who know the whole story said I'd never post this picture of my youngest, I decided to prove them wrong. As I said, she decided to wear shorts and flip-flops for hiking around on this unusually hot autumn day. I had cautioned her against it. When the shoes pained her, I did manage to find some real shoes in the trunk of my car. Due to the blisters, I used some bottled water to rinse her feet off. Then Chloe wanted socks. even though she could only find Santa socks in the glove box. She claimed to be comfortable but why did it have to look so funny? Instead of dressing for the season, she dressed for all four seasons at the same time....

After this fashion faux-pas, we headed to TJMaxx. She didn't want to try on dresses or pants, and mostly she sat on the floor pouting. But, she did fall in love with a doll. Gently I told her, "I'll buy said doll, if you'll try on these clothes, and have an open mind." The results were fabulous. You should've seen her light up from the feel of a new dress. Chloe was positively perfect in her new pink dress, and totally ready for dinner with my friends.


I confess, it was my best night out in a long while. Well, be warned Columbia, I will be back. I discovered four more homes that I hope to showcase.

For now fashion-loves, Stay fashionable, and be blessed.

Love,
Laurie





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...