Friday, June 9, 2017

A Truly Pretty Place in Greenville

By Laurie Bower Epps

Terraced above nearby Greenville, SC there is a chapel with a spectacular view. For Memorial Day, I went with my dear friend, Jeff who is a vet. It seemed to be the perfect way to spend my holiday.

I first learned of "Pretty Place," as it's called by locals, from my classmate's Mary's Facebook cover photo. I just have to know where this spot is, I told her. That was my first knowledge of Symmes Chapel which is actually part of a YMCA campground. The best advice I received when visiting was to check their wedding schedule on the website before you go. It's a popular place for weddings.
Outside the Chapel

The site is rich in natural history as well. Situated near Caesar's Head, and Caesar's Head State Park, the location is prominent geologically speaking as part of the Eastern Continental Divide. Both my friend and I had our GPS go a bit wonky but to find Pretty Place there's plenty of little brown park ranger style signs to guide you. I doubt I would of found this unassuming gem otherwise.

In the heart of an over 100 year old YMCA camp, this majestic chapel earns enough revenue to fund many YMCA programs for Greenville County. There are also numerous camps offered on site throughout the summer, so if you're planning a visit, it pays to check the schedule.


Fashion

I had planned for more of a hike, so I was dressed accordingly. You can literally park outside the chapel doors.

Yellow Floral top
~ Old Navy

Distressed Boyfriend Jeans
~ Lane Bryant

Walking Outdoor Sandals by Sketchers
~ Rack Room Shoes

I even had the golden highlights added to my hair the day before for a sun-kissed look.

From the end of the earth I will cry to you, Oh Lord. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  ~ Psalm 61:2

Pretty Place is also the perfect place for quiet reflection. Thank you for taking this special journey with me.



Travel Tip: Less than five miles before the road entrance, my friend and I found a stone house that sold homemade soups, salads, sandwiches, and even homemade fudge!

(Pictured at left in the restaurant, a shameless selfie)

I hope you enjoyed my little jaunt into the Blue Ridge Mountains. Join me next time for an adventure a little closer to home.

Well, my fashion loves, be blessed.

Love,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...