Friday, May 5, 2017

Fort Hill at Clemson University

My  girls
By Laurie Bower Epps

Since before I moved to the upstate, I've followed websites like http://www.upcountrysc.com/, travel websites, and chamber of commerce boards. I'm one of those who wants to know a bit about where I'm going to be living, and be aware of what's around me. I believe that we all should be aware of what's around us, since none of us are an island in this life.


Due to this curiosity, I've got quite the laundry list of places to visit while I live in this region. One of these places is the John C. Calhoun home on the campus of Clemson.

We set out on a picture perfect, but cool day. Since then, it's rained nearly every day for a couple of weeks.  Being a fashion blogger, that's sort of a no-can-do. But today is beautiful, and out in the woods I'm feeling inspired so I'm sharing my last adventure with all of you.

There is metered parking in front of the home and to tour it, you only offer up a donation. A Clemson staff member can show you the house, or you can take yourself around.

To learn more about viewing the home, go to: 


History

John C. Calhoun served under two presidents as Vice-President of the United States. He's the only Vice-President to do that. Serving both John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson, he had one of the longest running careers in Washington.

A prominent South Carolinian, he took Anna Marie Clemson as his bride. Together they had 10 children: 5 girls, and 5 boys. From the influence of his wife, Clemson University and the agriculture program sprung up around the residence that has remained in tact to date. One could say that much of the reason that Clemson University and the development of the Upstate is due to their union. The Calhouns lived at Fort Hill from 1825 until his death in 1850.

Fashion

Blouse and Shrug
~ Susan Lawrence Woman, Ross

Black Ballet Flats
~ Pesaro of Italy, Rack Room Shoes

Hairtreatment, Hollywood Roll
~ Scrunci, CVS Pharmacy

All jewelry from New York and Company






Well fashion-loves, now we've survived our April showers, and I've bought a number of fun spring outfits to share with all of you.

until next time---

Hugs and blessings,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...