Friday, April 14, 2017

My Almost 49er Gold Rush Adventure

By Laurie Bower Epps

Although I've spent 28 years of my life in California, I'm really from Georgia. Therefore, I know the histories of both states pretty well. Most people have heard of the giant gold rush of 1849, and no offense to the NFL team, the 49ers, the first major gold rush in the United States was actually in No. Georgia 21 years earlier (1828).

Although I didn't deliberately make this parallelism, I went to Dahlonega, GA for my 49th birthday. Housed in the oldest courthouse in the state of Georgia, you'll find GA State Gold Museum (aka the Dahlonega Gold Museum).

The Lumpkin County Courthouse, is home to this museum and is historically significant in its own right. The building is 170 years old and the architecture is Federal with Greek Revival influences. I just loved the architecture of this old courthouse. At one time, the lower floor was even a farmers market. I actually wish that the walls could talk.... Oh imagine the stories they would tell!

To visit this museum, you'll find it at:
Dahlonega Gold Museum
#1 Public Square
Dahlonega, Georgia 30533
(706)864-2257
http://www.gastateparks.org/DahlonegaGoldMuseum


My Fashion

Black Lace top, Satin Jacket, and Crop/Appliqued Jeans by Jennifer Lopez
~Kohl's

Metallic Simply Vera Handbag by Vera Wang
~Kohl's

Black Walking Sandals by Sketchers (old)
~Rack Room Shoes

I deliberately wore old sandals for the sake of comfort simply due to the amount of walking I knew I'd be doing that day.





Our adventure didn't stop there, and we headed deeper into the mountains going towards Tennessee. It's a well known fact that sometimes I take friends along with me on my adventures, and here is a group shot of the four of us. My dear friend Leo, his sister Leticia, my youngest, & I.




As we climbed deeper into the hills of Appalachia, we noticed this graffiti spot alongside the road. I must say it's my favorite picture of the day since it's so unique. The rocks above were actually leaking water as if the rocks were crying. It's funny to think about those small trickles of water carving away through pure granite to carve out the mountains to hills and it formed the spectacular views we see today.











So many hikers start here, at the base of the Appalachian Trail in the hills of Northern Georgia. The Appalachian Trail spans 2,190 miles, 14 states, and attracts over 3 million visitors each year. To explore, go to:
www.appalachiantrail.org


My love of hiking probably comes from my youth in the hills of Northern Georgia. My parents used to take drives after church on Sunday afternoons. This part of the country is as much a part of me as my DNA. It's the only place on earth that feels like home.



Pictured with the Blue Ridge Mountains behind me
Albeit, from my own journal when my dear mother died, I wrote something to the effect of, "these hills. The mountains of Northern Georgia will be part of my soul, the very essence of my being, forever."


Until next time, my fashion-love's....


Blessings,
Laurie











No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...