Friday, April 7, 2017

My Glitzy, Girlie, and Green St. Patty's Day

Ready for My Night Out
By Laurie Bower Epps

Since my daughter did ballet for 12 years, I'm on the mailing list for the Peace Center. One day this past fall, I received the brochure for the shows of the upcoming season. When I saw that Celtic Woman was playing, and on St. Patrick's Day, being a good Irish lass, I had to go. To accelerate my excitement, it was also just 2 days before my 49th Birthday. By January 5th, I had the tickets for the show and the excitement was building.

As a former stage mom, I'd always heard about the great restaurants around the Peace Center, but I'd never been to any of them. I was always bustling around with Subway sandwiches or pizza from a nearby shop for the girls between showtimes. So I wanted to try one of the restaurants that I'd always heard so much about. My top 2 choices were Larkins on the River and Rick Erwin's West End Grille. I planned out the entire day. I started with getting my hair and nails done before heading out.

I'm still not accustomed to dining alone, but with my friend unable to make it, I chose to still head out. The service was superb, and dare I say that I got more attention from the wait staff from dining alone? My reservations were at 5:45 pm so I'd have time to snap a few pictures before the show while it was still light out. Falls Park on the Reedy is especially beautiful so I savoured every moment of my newly found independence. The night started off with a rose for my birthday, and I knew then, this was going to be my night.






In the dimly lit cavern style, brick-layed restaurant, I relaxed to jazz and big band music. I knew then that a cosmopolitan and seafood were in order. It was really liberating to dine alone on this scale, because I didn't have to ask anyone's permission to order the things I really wanted to eat or drink. I could simply let the night take me where it wanted.

From the seafood bisque, to the freshly seared scallops, to my favorite dessert (Creme Brulee) they didn't miss a beat, and it was a wonderful dining experience.

To check out Rick Erwin's for yourself, go to:
Rick Erwin's West End Grille
648 S. Main Street
Greenville, SC 29601
http://www.rickerwins.com/west-end-grille/






Fashion

Dress & Teal/Blue Necklace
~ Catherine's Plus Sizes

Sparkly Shawl by Crazy Kat
~ Cracker Barrel Stores

Tan Cha-Cha Heels by White Mountain
~ Belk's

Metallic Purse by Simply Vera, Vera Wang
~ Kohl's

Hand-Blown Glass Earrings
~ Los Angeles Natural History Museum, L.A.



As I was about to ascend the stairs behind the Peace Center, a man offered to take my picture, and I have to say, it's one of the best pictures I've taken in many years. I did luck out dually, because this man claimed to be a photographer. After this shot, I'm inclined to believe him. Let me know what you all think.

For me it was a magical night, in my favorite color, doing all my favorite things, up to including watching my favorite group.

I do hope to go back and do a piece on the history of the Peace Center, and of Falls Park, but I don't think I've enough pictures to do those ideas justice. So I do hope to revisit downtown Greenville in the Spring to follow up with that.


Celtic Woman

All the way from Ireland, these four very talented performers graced the stage and delighted us all. It was the most perfect St. Patrick's Day that I can ever remember. To join me for the concert was my dear friend Ruth. We served side by side as ballet moms for years and I think this was one of the few shows we got to just sit and enjoy.


For tour information and dates, click here.








I really wanted a concert t-shirt, and I didn't buy the classic black tee. I went for comfort and nostalgia. My grandmother used to say that I was Irish-ish, which means I'm Irish, though I wasn't born there. I'm sure you'll find me in it for many weekends to come.

Tune in next week for GA Mountain, 49er Adventure.

Until next time Fashion-love's, Be well, and Be blessed.


Love,
Laurie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...