Thursday, August 8, 2013

Time for School

Intro by Laurie Epps

It's getting to be that time again, where we say goodbye to summer, and children go back to the halls of academia. My own kids are so excited to go back to school this time, and both are embarking on a new academic adventure. My youngest starts kindergarten the same day my teenager starts at the local junior college. I know from experience, that they may be excited now, but a month from now they very well could be rolling their eyes about getting ready for school.

Today's entry is from one of my favorite local poets, Kenneth O'Shaunnnessy. Ken is an education major in addition to his job. Sometimes I wonder how the guy does it all, poet, dad to four, student, employee.... but he has been so gracious about giving me an original poem anytime I need it. Thank you so much Ken. Now let's get back to school.






 


Time for School
By Kenneth O’Shaunnessey

It's time! It's time!
To leave the pool,
To pack my bags
And go to school.
I take my pencils,
Paper, lunch
And join the waiting
School-bound bunch.
Apple for Teacher,
Cookies for me -
I'll share with anyone
Who's friendly.
I'll study math
And English, too.
I'll read my school books
All the way through.
I'll talk to new kids -
But not during class.
I won't talk in class
unless I am asked.
I'll do my homework
Without any fuss
Instead of playing
On the bus.
I'll stuff my head
With things to know,
You'll never have
To make me go.
To school I'm happy
To return.
Let me go now -
So much to learn!








Kenneth A O'Shaughnessy is a freelance writer and poet living in the upstate of South Carolina with his wife and four children. To find his daily poetry entries, log onto: http://badbadboypublications.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...