Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Ebb and Flow of Love

By Laurie Epps

This past semester in my Art History class we had a creative writing option in lieu of our term paper assignment. Being a creative writing major, and completely burnt out on a thesis driven paper, I just embraced to express myself and my ideas in a different way.

Of all the portraits, Portrait of a Young Woman by Mary Louise Elisabeth really resonated with me. I imagined the subject of this French rococo painter to have the sweet and precocious nature of Marianne as in Sense and Sensibility of Jane Austen. So I just went with my idea, and much to my essay's delight. Please send a query to my email for a copy of this essay. Embedded in the essay, was a poem from her suitor. I will share with you his poem to her below.

The Ebb and Flow of Love
By Laurie Epps

Star crossed lovers
Much like the Seine
Winding through Paris
Looking for the same

Kind of wandering path
Like the river beds
Hoping for the moment
That water treads

On the banks of our
Softened hearts
Love may envelope
And never depart



 Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. To read more of Laurie's stories come back here for her column about Poetry on Thursdays, or follow her Tuesday column dedicated to writing on: http://thewriteconversation.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...