Friday, June 14, 2019

Mother & Daughter Date Lavender Picking

By Laurie Bower Epps

As a young woman, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to study abroad in France. The beginning of my stay, I was in a study-tour group. My group of 30 American students toured the majority of France in the summer of 1985. One of the stops that stuck with me was touring Provence and Grasse. Grasse is where most of the world's perfume is made. The images and aromas of the lavender fields will be with me forever. Nostalgia got the better of me when I saw a local farm sponsoring a U-Pick on Facebook. Since my daughter is studying environmental science, and the farm is located roughly ten minutes from her house, I couldn't go without her. So my story got to make a full circle, and I got to share my memories with her.




Down south, we had record breaking heat for roughly three weeks. I hesitated to share these pictures because we were sweltering. But since I'm also a proponent of shopping local, and of promoting local businesses, I've had a change of heart. They are in the final weekend of attending U-Pick, but the website and recent articles indicate that they're going to be going even bigger next year.

For our mommy & daughter date, we went to Twin Creeks Lavender Farm in the Upstate of South Carolina. They also sell at a number of farmers markets, and various handicrafts fairs in this area. To see more information about their farm, you can go to their website: https://twincreekslavender.com/

One of the interesting things about this farm is that it was originally a cattle ranch. When the father/owner passed away, his daughter repurposed the land into the lavender farm that it is today.

To get tickets for this first U-Pick, you can find links on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/471266830454981/ 

Or to shop on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/twincreekslavender/





Fashion

I confess, I didn't take enough fashion forward pictures due to the heat. I have learned from doing this column, that sometimes, you just have to roll with it. My dress is from Ross Dress for Less. I can't read the label of the designer, but it's close to J. Glee. It's fully lined and I love the romantic yet beachy feel. The touches of lace and bell sleeves made me feel really feminine. My wedge heels are from Sketchers and I got them at Rack Room Shoes. They weren't the best choice for lavender picking.

My daughter Ellen is wearing a dress from New York and Company. She got it off the clearance rack though, so good luck! She confessed that it was a steal of a price. (Something like $7)

We rounded out the day with a picnic and I packed salads. When we went to pick up her little sister from school, we went out for ice cream, and a walk alongside the Seneca River. It was a very fun day. We will be back.

The Twin Creeks Lavender Farm owner was nice enough to take our picture, and she has a lot of fun, natural products. Everything from honey, to lip balm, to room spray, to monster spray, eye patches, and even bug repellent. I'm definitely going to be a regular for her products too. They say that our most under appreciated sense is the sense of smell. I believe it's true. The smell of lavender brings me back to those wonderful relaxing days in Provence when I was a young woman of 17. 

Thanks for going down memory lane with me. Until next time fashion-love's, stay fashionable and be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...