Friday, February 9, 2018

Two Fashion Icons Hit the Ballfield

Pictured on Liberty Bridge, Falls Park
By Laurie Bower Epps

This column on my blog is also a copycat of my friend, Dana Evans fashion blog. When talking to other women my age, many mentioned that she's beautiful but they didn't feel represented in the sense of body type. Personally, I believe that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. But I can get on board with the idea that just because you don't fit in the typical misses section of the local department store, you still want to be fashionable. Since Dana is truly my muse, it's been a vision for me to join forces with a bit of double-trouble fashionably speaking.

Being a card carrying girlie-girl, you might be surprised to learn that I also love soccer matches and baseball. Ok, so I probably won't be in a ball cap anytime soon, that doesn't mean that I can't indulge in the favorite pastime.

Mary's Restaurant at Falls Park

Since I moved to the Upstate in 2006, I've wanted to eat at this restaurant perched up on top of the Reedy River Falls. Known for it's brunch and fabulous catering, Mary's Restaurant is on the National Register of Historical Residences. It was a prominent residence of W.E. Touchstone but built in 1894-1896. At the time this was on the prominent West End of Greenville, and the area has been revitalized with galleries, boutiques, fine restaurants, and performing venues. Through the century long history, this residence has changed hands a few times but it was taken over by Mary Jones in 1995 for her catering business.

My History with the Baseball Legend

In the late 80s, I was an assistant manager of a local movie theater. One of the most popular movies was "Field of Dreams" which told the story of the baseball legend, Shoeless Joe Jackson. Although, the film depicted Jackson as being a mid-westerner.... That is grossly inaccurate. Shoeless Joe Jackson is from the hilly part of South Carolina known as the Upstate, the Upcountry, or the Piedmont. 


The Ballfield Shoeless Joe played on with the Mill Team
Shoeless Joe Jackson

In nearby Greenville, SC Shoeless Joe is a household name and homegrown hero. Jackson was a top major league baseball player in the early 20th Century. Illiterate Shoeless Joe was ousted from the sport due to alleged "game fixing." Born in Brandon Mills, SC in 1887, he was known a phenomenal natural hitter and went on to play for the Chicago White Sox. Jackson was only banished from the sport due to being accused of fixing the World Series. About 30 years later, Shoeless Joe died in Greenville, SC in 1951.

Mainly, we're going to focus on his years here in the Upstate. At the age of 6, little Joey went to work to help support his impoverished family in a cotton mill. They couldn't afford to let him go to school. By his teen years, the natural talent for baseball was apparent and he played for the mill team.  During this time, he received the nickname "Shoeless" for hitting a base clearing triple in his stocking feet since his baseball spikes had irritated his feet. In 1908, the Philadelphia A's purchased his contract from the Greenville Spinners. This launched his career as being in the major leagues being traded off from teams such as the Cincinnati Reds to the Chicago White Sox. After the 1920s World Series scandal, Shoeless Joe was banished from the sport and returned to his hometown of Greenville spending the remaining 30 years of his life here.

Dana & I did spend a few hours looking for the bar that the famous ball player owned since it also had a commemorative mural spanning one side of it, but later we realized that we were looking for something that no longer exists. So rare for either one of us to have to abandon the search of a destination.


Fluor Field

For years, a statue of Shoeless Joe Jackson sat outside the Smoke on the Water Restaurant on the West End. The weather was unseasonably cold for this part of the country (which might see 40 degrees) to our unsavory and balmy 20 degrees. But we both have the same passion and vision, we weren't going to rest until we found the fate of the bronze statue. Outside our local ballfield, Fluor Field, we found his statue standing proudly as if he's here to greet visitors who've come to see the Greenville Drive. I must confess, he's much more suitably situated. 



Dana's Fashion

Faux Fur Jacket & Sparkly Hiking Boots
~ Forever 21

Zara Jeans
~ Belk's

Both of us fell in love with the baseballs outside the stadium, and decided to take our fashion shots here. I do confess, Dana has a true photographer set up for her pictures, so all photo credit goes to her and her obliging tripod. I hope to mimic her set up, and bring that next level of polish in 2019.


To visit Dana's Blog, go to:
https://danasfashionfaze.blogspot.com



My Fashion

Foxy Sweater, Flare Bootcut Jeans,
& Leopard Print Wool Coat
~ Lane Bryant

Burgundy Beannie
~ Cracker Barrell

Weathered Brown, low-cut Booties by Clarks

Did I mention it was cold? Well, these two fashion bloggers are hearty Southern Ladies, and we pressed on. I confess, this blog is longer for me than most because there's just a lot more content. Shoeless Joe was well respected by other famous ball players of his day including Ty Cobb and Baby Ruth. 

Insider tip: Hopefully, there will be a Ty Cobb blog post in late Spring.


Motley Crue

We did have a lot of fun playing tourist in our own hometown. Even my youngest started asking questions about the famous ball players life. Not only did my daughter learn a lot, but she went on to gush, "Dana's the prettiest woman I've ever seen up close.... (diplomatically) aside from you, mommy." Young Chloe even asked to go to a ball game this summer. Oh be still my heart.






Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum

Worth a stop is the Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum. Located across the street from Fluor Field, you could round out the perfect baseball legend filled day by stopping by the home of ball player that was relocated to the site. Only open Saturdays (except by appointment) it's easily accessible to follow up with an early evening game during baseball season. I hope you'll take the time to check it out if you're ever passing through this region.

"God knows I gave my best in baseball at all times and no man on earth can truthfully judge me otherwise."
~ Shoeless Joe Jackson

Thanks to Jackson, his best is left here to us in the Upstate, and baseball fans everywhere.

So until next time fashion-loves, stay fashionable and be blessed.

Love,
Dana & Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...