Friday, February 16, 2018

A Tale of Two Sweethearts

By Laurie Bower Epps

Much like the two key cities in the book, A Tale of Two Cities, two people are drawn to each other due to attraction but they're nothing alike. From there, if they fall in love, they move side by side trying to forge a life together. If they can face the good with the bad, they build a future. If somewhere down the road, those differences cause one of them to detour, usually it leads to heartbreak. For love to succeed, both need to submit to facing the good along with the bad but always looking to each other for comfort, or towards common goals.





Every year, my daughter and her long time boyfriend ask me to take Valentine and anniversary pictures. In stark contrast to last year, this year I saw an Urban Chic kinda feel, but instead of driving to one of the nearest big cities, we dodged the rainstorms to nearby Greenville.

I've heard from the locals that back in the 80s, downtown Greenville wasn't a place you wanted to be. There was a gauntlet of drug addicts, homeless people, and want to be gang affiliates. However, the city of Greenville and organizations like the Metropolitan Arts Council, recreated downtown Greenville into a place filled with art, quirky cafe's, and culture. They've completely revitalized the entire area.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.” 
― Charles DickensA Tale of Two Cities



Location

For this photo opportunity, I chose the Richardson Street Garage just behind the Mast General Store in downtown Greenville. Mainly because I wanted a skyline view of the city. It came highly recommended by a dear friend of mine that loves photography. She assured me that the best views of the city could be captured there. Located at: 66 N. Richardson Street, Greenville, SC. Being winter time proved a bit problematic. Nightfall and fog crept in before I could get all of the shots I wanted.

However, as we descended from the roof, we discovered a courtyard at One City Plaza, that offered plenty of new, unanticipated pictures. One of the things I've learned with this fashion blog, is you fumble over an opportunity like this, you should just go with it. You don't know when it'll come again, as well as, usually it can't be recreated.


The Couple

My daughter's beau is an Italian-Irish blend from New York. He's tall, witty, and is much like a big teddy bear. Whereas, my daughter is of medium height, sassy, intellectual, and a California girl. As a former dancer, tripping over the unexpected courtyard quickly turned into a Dancing In The Streets kind of vibe.

They looked just perfect in their black & white with splash of red for Valentines. I just loved the details on my daughter's dress from NY & Co.



My daughter Ellen is a former dancer with Carolina Ballet theater. So, of course, she leans that way a bit artistically with her ideas for pictures. I indulged her for fabulous results. Not only did these pictures more exactly match their personality as a couple, it has lead to a very different kind of blog for me. She asked me to take hundreds of pictures of her twirling. Her favorite was actually a blurry one, but I liked this one because you can see her face, and I think she's just beautiful.
Classic: Here's a classic dip picture, and to quote my daughter, "It just works. It's just us." They've been together about 4 years now. This young couple has been through a lot together. They met in college. Ellen's store for NY & Co. closed down forever at the end of January, and her uncle died this past September. But yet, her boyfriend helped her get a job with him at Sam's Club, but in a different department. They even have two rambuntious dogs together: Trouble and Arwen.


There is so much more to plan for as young people today. But I'm sure they'll tackle it hand and hand like they always have. Yet they make every place that they are more beautiful. But that's just what sweethearts do.

Happy Valentines Day!!!! 

Here's a quote that fits them perfectly: 
“You have been the last dream of my soul.” 
― Charles DickensA Tale of Two Cities

Well fashion-love's, until next time:
stay fashionable & be blessed.

Love,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...