Friday, September 8, 2017

Poinsett Bridge

By Laurie Bower Epps

My dear brother Robert passed away on September 1, 2017 due to complications with cancer. I debated not doing this blog, but to clear my head, I went hiking this past Sunday with spectacular results. After reading many articles saying that GPS would steer me wrong, I worried a little bit about navigation. However, just off the Cherokee Foothills Highway, and 25 SC Highway interchange, the Poinsett Bridge is settled above the Cliffs Golf Course in plain sight from the road.

The medieval look about the bridge struck both my youngest and I immediately. We dreamed of everything from Camelot, to fairies with this magnificent bridge as our backdrop in the distance. The weather was perfect for such an outing as this... I imagined taking pictures of my middle daughter and her boyfriend here, and I hope to go back one day to do just that.


 History

The Poinsett Bridge is the oldest bridge in South Carolina. Built by Scots-Irish Immigrants in 1812, the Poinsett Bridge provided a connection between nearby Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC. The bridge was named for Charleston native, Joel R. Poinsett who was Ambassador to Mexico at the time. It was his name that also shared with the "Poinsettia" flowers that we have at Christmas time since he is the one who brought them to the United States.

The architect for the bridge, Robert Mills, was also one of the architects for the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. At the time, a toll road was between Greenville and Asheville as passage over the bridge. Abram Blanding was the commissioner of Public Works at the time, and oversaw the construction of the bridge.

For more information on the bridge's history, go to:
http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/greenville-county/poinsett-bridge.html 

My Fashion

Irma Top & Leggings
~ LulaRoe

Pink Athletic Socks by Livi
~ Lane Bryant

Black Tennis Shoes by Sketchers
~ Rack Room Shoes

Black Sweatshirt by Eddie Bauer
~ Sam's Club





Chloe's Fashion

Black Unicorn Tee by City Streets,
& Charcoal Grey Unicorn Leggings by Total Girl
~ JC Penney

Black Velvet Choker with Birdcage
~Wish App

Tiffany Blue Hair Bow
~ Dillard's

Black Thong Sandals
~ Shoe Carnival 



This proved to be the perfect way for the two of us to decompress, and reconnect with each other. Much like a fairy-tale, the bright green trees nestled against the stone-brick like walls of the Poinsett Bridge in the distance. There were lots of meandering trails alongside the river. However, to get to the base as we did, was quite steep. You might want to do a few extra squats at the gym in preparation for that, but it's well worth it. My youngest liked it so much she asked when we'll be going back.... 







Due to the very nature of bridges, it crosses Little Gap Creek, and I really wished we'd rethought our footwear. Chloe's little sandals offered no traction whatsoever, and my tennis shoes made dipping my toes in the water fairly impractical. May I recommend hiking sandals? I think they'd be a great marriage of the two elements we were looking for. Wrong footwear or not, it didn't stop my precocious Chloe from getting into the water and frolicking. Her giggles raised my spirits.  






Years ago, I wrote a poem for a folk singer artist in the UK, and it was called "Refracting On My Skin," and there was this view ascending out of the narrow gorge that made me remember it. 
To view it, click here.

As Christians, we know that with every death there is new life, and that great beginnings are often painfully formed. I know in the depths of my soul, that my brother's memory will live on.... I'm comforted that these dark days mean the dawn is coming.

"It is always darkest before the day dawneth."
~ Thomas Fuller, theologian (1608-1661)

  

Robert Andrew Bower 1957-2017
I tried to write about my brother Robert before he had passed, knowing as sick as he was, it was doubtful that he'd make it. In five years time, he'd had three separate and identified types of cancer. But I think his body just got tired. As for my journal, I wrote: If Robert hadn't been my brother, I think he would've been my best friend. Maybe in many ways those two ideas weren't exclusive of each other. I'm proud of you, dear brother. You fought the good fight, and now move onto paradise. I hope to find you on the other side. Just keep watching over me from above.

Matthew 11:28-30 New International Version (NIV)

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

So fashion-loves, to my sweet brother, this blog entry is dutifully dedicated. I'm fortunate to have known him.

Thanks for stopping by,
Laurie 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...