Friday, August 25, 2017

Horseshoe Falls

By Laurie Bower Epps

For those that know me, know that I'm a Girl Scout. I've participated with scouts for most of my life. I've even been a leader for all three of my daughter's troops. The oldest took to scouting, but due to custody battles, she wasn't able to attend things like sleepover camp due to a custody exchange or whatever. My middle child, instead chose dancing over Girl Scouts, and was a student of ballet for more than twelve years. My youngest, however, took it to a whole 'nother level! By the end of her first year, Chloe had more patches than both of her sisters combined spanning four years of scouting total. My Chloe is very into scouting as I was when I was a girl.

Why I'm telling you all this, is my youngest was at sleepaway camp for a week this summer, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to set out on an adventure. After picking her up from camp, we found a roadside barbeque place that just called to me. As we ate our lunch/dinner, we discussed options of a good stopping place on the way home. First, we considered the beach only to find it much further than we thought. Chloe agreed to see an historic mill halfway home as a concession since she just wanted to go home.
Musgrove Mill

Our trip home wasn't smooth sailing. Her camp was in the midlands of the state, and it took much longer than GPS would lead you to believe. Not only was Lexington, SC halfway between Columbia, SC and Augusta, GA, but there was also road construction from Irmo (north side of Columbia) on. The next problem was facing the traffic jam after I picked her up. Columbia being the capitol of our state, yields a lot of traffic, especially on a Friday afternoon. Going to Musgrove Mill from Columbia ordinarily would take about an hour, but due to the driving conditions it took nearly three hours. 

We arrived at this Revolutionary War site just 10 minutes before closing, but the ranger was kind enough to give us driving directions to the falls. He also sort of followed us out, and locked the gate behind. I do hope to make it back to this little gem at a later date.


Hiking

Heading out to the falls there is a well marked parking lot, and a beautiful older bridge. Just as the ranger had told us, it's about a mile and a half hike down, and then the same back. My daughter started to get nervous about the old bridge, and I immediately felt more confident when I saw that most of the path is paved. So it's an easy hike, even for a beginner. It's more like walking really, and my youngest handled it well even without cell reception in a lot of places. I wouldn't even hesitate to take an elderly person or small child with me this hike is so well laid out.



Chloe above the cavern
History

What makes Horseshoe Falls so different is its mysterious past. Musgrove Mill was the site of a Revolutionary War battle that lasted two days (August 19-20, 1780). The bloodshed of this particular battle gives light to the fact that the Revolutionary War was very much a civil war. Often times during the war, brothers would be on opposite sides of the war, and neighbors. Patriot soldier Horseshoe Robinson (sometimes logged Robertson) was said to have hidden himself due to an injury in a cavern ten feet left of the falls. He witnessed Tory activity, and was able to get that information back to Patriot officers after the battle.
Due to its accessibility, Horseshoe Falls is also a popular place for locals (i.e. Party Spot). The day my daughter and I were here, we were able to get a picture together by asking a local type to take it. The young adult kind enough to take our picture asked how we knew about their favorite watering hole, and I betrayed my nerdy tendency to read. 


Fashion
Purple Feathered tee by SJS Designs
~ Ross Dress for Less
Black Denim Shorts by Jennifer Lopez
~ Kohl's

Chloe's outfit is also from Ross Dress for Less, but it's hard to pry her out of it long enough to get the designer...

Chloe Crouched Down to Make More Minnows Flee
This stop proved to be the best stretch of the legs we could of asked for. The water was so cool and refreshing on this hot summer day. I got to reconnect to my own childhood where I spent all my free time wading, fishing, or climbing around on rocks in Kennesaw, GA. 

Every step we took in the shallow water sent hundreds of minnows swimming in different directions. My daughter set out a bit whiny about her lack of Minecraft, but the giggles she had from the fishies made it all wash away. I think our little watering hole stop will be with me always.




Just be aware, if you plan on climbing on the rocks of the waterfall as we have done, the rocks are very slippery due to the algae. It did give me the opportunity to share with my daughter a bit about the local ecology from tadpoles to minnows.... They're all here waiting for you. 

Rules like: "leaves of three, let it be..." How to spy for snakes, which thankfully we didn't see any. As it turned to dusk, little Chloe almost jumped out of her skin when she heard an owl. So this roadside detour, proved to be the most fun and educational yet. I apologize fashion-loves that the fashion is a bit lacking.... However, as it cools down this fall, it will be back. 


Discovery

Just from looking up this hike, I learned so much about the surrounding area. From waterfalls within waterfalls, to a secret cavern, to a legend of a legendary Revolutionary Patriot Soldier, it's all waiting for your own adventure.

So if you're ever on I-26 in South Carolina between Newberry and Laurens, this is a definite great place to stop. Well, fashion-loves, there is a shortage for shopping in the area, but I'm sure you can find something to eat. I did find some very limited shopping in nearby Laurens, and a treasure trove for history buffs in Newberry. Don't let the lack of shopping discourage you! There's so many places for fabulous pictures, that you've plenty of places to show your efforts off.

Clinton, SC: be warned, we will be back. Horseshoe Falls proved to be perfectly refreshing on a hot summer's day.

Till next time, fashion-loves...
Be fashionable and be blessed,
Laurie

A Special Happy Birthday to my little cutie that turns 9 tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...