Friday, February 10, 2017

Romance and the Rails in Lavonia, GA


By Laurie Bower Epps

Being a Georgia peach, I'm naturally drawn across the border to my state of birth. I've loved trains since I was a young girl, and I've shared this love with my daughter Ellen. Working sales helped me discover this little town of Lavonia, that's literally sprung up around the railroad tracks. Since love is a journey, I thought the perfect location for my daughter and her beau's valentines portraits was this town that's captured my heart.




You may not be aware of it, but February 10th is National Umbrella Day, so I've incorporated a hot pink umbrella into our photos for this blog.

History
The depot is 105 years young, and originally the women of the town thought it to be an eye-sore and it was moved from its site in Weldon Park to it's current location. After a little research, I discovered that the town springing up around the depot was no accident. You can visit the depot and speak to local historians Monday-Friday, however, we stopped by on Super Bowl Sunday which had the downtown area very deserted, but it made for better pictures. To learn more about the history, click here.

Pictures are always fun with these two because they always have some silliness to also get out of their system.


Ellen's Fashion

Fringe sweater dress & accessories
~New York & Co.


Black Fashion Pumps, Lauren Conrad
~Kohl's











National Umbrella Day

Most scholars accept that umbrella's have been in use for at least 1200 years. According to art, and notes of record, the Chinese were the first to waterproof umbrella's for use in the rain. In modern times, although useful, umbrella's are often overlooked and taken for granted as a fashion accessory. So today, celebrate the fun & functionality of umbrella's. To learn more about umbrella day, click here.








My favorite fashion era is the roaring 20s, and it stems from my love of the famous book, The Great Gatsby. It's probably my favorite book of all time. My daughter Ellen's favorite movie is Singing in the Rain, which is a movie about the first "talkie" movies. So naturally we were drawn to a retro, 1920s urban chic in a train station!


But I think we can all agree that love's a journey, and I'm sure that this won't be the last stop with these two lovebirds. Happy Valentines Day!

Until next time,
Thanks for stopping by--

Laurie


For those new to my blog, I can assure you, the ideas, and locations are all hand chosen by me. My models are my daughters, and occasionally their friends. I don't use high-tech equipment, I take the photos with my phone. When I use myself as a model, most of the pictures are taken by my eight year old, who's quite savvy. I write all the content myself, as well as, I do all the formatting. I also self advertise, so please, if you like what you see, subscribe and share!

I believe that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. That fashion is a way to express ourselves, and I'm always up for a new adventure. Life is a gift, go out there and live it. Be wonderfully you. Explore your world, and in doing so, you discover yourself. So get out there, find an adventure, and share it!

Hugs & Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...