Friday, September 9, 2016

Suber's Corn Grist Mill


By Laurie Epps

I know years from now, I'm going to laugh at this blog entry. I set out with two of my daughters in the sweltering southern heat in the middle of July in our new Fall clothes. Even though I was a model in my youth, I'm currently going through the change of life, and sweaters in the heat was just a bad idea. If I hadn't gone terribly wrong enough with that, I paired my outfit with a pair of heels, and being almost 6'0" tall, I'm accustomed to wearing flats.

This location was picked by my daughters, and I think we all thought the water wheel would've been bigger than it was.... But yet, it still had a wonderful charm about the old place. 






Fall Sweater Crazy
Fall Fashion

Our vision for our fall fashion was inspired by the idea of glam meets camouflage. This picture was taken by my eight year old. I think she did pretty well, don't you?

Ellen's Fashion (left)
Peplum top, camouflage pants, accessories, and shrug~ all New York and Company.

DC Sneakers, by Journeyz


My Fashion (right)
Sweater, 89th & Madison
~ Ross Dress for Less

Elephant Graphic Tee, French Pastry
~Ross Dress for Less

Plus sized, camouflaged pants, VIP Jeans
~Ross Dress for Less

Cute, Chunky Heeled Shoes, Report (Brand)
~Ross Dress for Less


Photo Credit: Ellen Brooke Epps

We hadn't been there even twenty minutes, and I'd already ditched the sweater, and I was about to ditch the heels. My daughter Ellen caught me off guard starting to lift my hair for a little breeze, and this was the spectacular result. This is my favorite picture of me that day, but only because I laugh at my catastrophic mistake. So for my devoted followers, you won't be seeing anymore sweaters until late October at least....


Suber's Grist Corn Mill
History

The Subers have been operating mills near this site since just before the Civil War. During the Civil War, this section of the Enoree River was called Princess Creek. However, it's truly part of the Enoree River.

This site specifically has been owned and operated by the Suber Family since 1908. Corn that is processed here has become cornmeal, grits, and animal feed to be sold locally.

You can just feel the history of this location the moment you exit your car, or at least, we did. The old timers sitting on the enclosed porch are locals, including the modern-day Subers. Since we were there on a Friday afternoon, folks from the greater Greer area, were swarming in to talk and sit a spell like when I was a child. It's a wonderful walk back in time, and the mill is open to visitors Monday-Fridays from 8 am-5 pm. To learn more, go to this website: http://www.scmills.com/subers.php 


My beautiful daughter, Ellen
Visitor Information

To give me a running start to my blog, I did start with an Upcountry Visitors Guide. Since I live in the Upstate of SC, it was logical for me to start close to home. To see the listing for this location, and order your own guide (with a few clicks) go to this link:
http://www.upcountrysc.com/Historic-Sites/Suber's-Corn-Mill-161

I often follow up to verify my information with SCI Way, or by clicking here:
http://www.sciway.net/sc-photos/greenville-county/subers-corn-mill.html

I've also discovered that there's a historic landmark icon in my maps navigation tools, and this helps when I'm traveling sort of last minute. I locked it in as one of my favorite tools up there with gasoline, and restaurants. My inner nerd is showing a little there.... But those are just some tools I use. 

But this mill specifically, grinds corn for the tourists on Tuesdays and Fridays if you get there before 11:30 am.


Make It Yours

I'd like to encourage you to have your own adventure. Meandering around this site, were trails and of course, the Princess Creek. The stunning green meadow just called to my daughters and I. We took far too many photos for just one blog just experiencing nature, and the beauty of the surrounding area. 

To get started, I suggest you simply request visitor or travel information from your state. You'll be amazed at what's in your back yard. 

Blessings.... until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...