Friday, September 23, 2016

Midway Presbyterian Church

Midway Presbyterian Church Estab. 1833
By Laurie Epps

School started about a month ago, and that meant many changes in my household, especially for my youngest. From getting back into gymnastics, to resuming Girl Scouts, and a new after-school program set in the country. A new schedule was in store for us.

En route to her after school program that first morning, we passed by a church that seemed to call to me. I snapped a picture on my first day at a new job of the 183 year old church en my new route that I'd be taking daily knowing that I'd be back for a photo shoot for my blog.


Fashion: 2 Looks

Look 1 ~ Haani Dress from Ross Dress for Less

~ Earrings from TJ Maxx

 ~ Pumps by Report, available at Ross Dress for Less

 ~ Purse by Chaps from Ralph Lauren, Kohl's




Living here in the Southeast, we don't see the cooler temps often until at least Halloween. Yet fashionista's like myself don't want to be cheated on the fall looks. That's why I chose to start the fall season with two looks with the same basic pieces. One that's got the style without the warmth, and one that can be worn up North where they're already getting the cooler weather.


Look 2 ~ Haani Dress from Ross Dress for Less

~ My Jewelry is sentimental. I'm wearing my late mother's garnets. It's funny, it made me feel like she was with me.

~ Leggings from Lane Bryant

~ Moschino Boots from Target

~ Purse from Chaps by Ralph Lauren, Kohl's


Church History

Much like my resident state of South Carolina, I was brought up Presbyterian, and one could say the state itself was brought up Presbyterian too. Presbyterians were among the first settlers, and brought up the church in rich, Christian tradition.

In those early years, there wasn't even the structure that you see before you today, parishioners met under a crudely constructed brush arbor. There wasn't the construction of the present building until 1848. Town meetings were also held on the site until too many settlers were in the region to be practical.

To learn more about the history of the church, click here.

Ironically, my fellow fashion blogger, Dana Evans, was married in this church. She told me that there's actually bullets from the Civil War in one of the walls. Although, I've still not confirmed this, I know that in 183 years, this beautiful church has seen a whole lot of history unfold. To visit my friend Dana's blog, navigate to her website: http://danasfashionfaze.blogspot.com/

There are several architecturally beautiful churches dotted across the southern U.S. landscape, and I encourage you to go inside and take your own walk back in time.

Historically, people have worn their "Sunday Best" to church. It was a time to fellowship with other Christians and get to know your neighbors. So visiting this historic church was a logical choice for me. I hope you enjoyed you enjoyed my deviation from my normal format, and that you too, are excited to gear up for fall. 

Thanks for stopping by--

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...