Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Workouts Are Contagious

My daughter Ellen & I at the gym
By Laurie Epps

Working out is contagious. I'm sure it is. Now that I'm going to the gym, and I've lost nearly 10 pounds, my girls don't want to be shown up by their mom. It's true. My eldest daughter Melanie has joined a gym in CA, and usually sends me a hiking picture on the weekends of her hikes. My middle daughter Ellen goes to the gym with me on occasion. Mainly, Ellen tries to make it to either Yoga or Zumba (we're still trying to get to Zumba). However, I've yet to include my youngest Chloe, except on this last hike. 

Getting fit should be a family affair. However, I'm learning the frustration of trying to get my six year old to try veggies or salmon. Also, it's a challenge to introduce fitness to a young child, and it's hard to get cooperation out of a teenager. For all the moms out there, you need to be doing this for you. It's not selfish. Consider it maintenance. You can't take care of everybody else, if you're health is declining to a point where you can't take care of yourself.

So what's a mom to do?

This past week at the gym
Well, most gyms do offer child care for a minimal fee. I finally caved and signed up for mine (but I started just for the summer). I know, sometimes that's not even enough. I partially chose a 5K in October to: see the beautiful fall leaves, avoid my first race being in the heat, and I've got two months to train while school's in session. 

I do confess, despite the obstacles, I'm still liking that I'm feeling a little trimmer, and I walk a little taller than I used to. This has been great for a confidence booster. I went on a fourth interview for the same company this week, and I really didn't feel any where the same level of nervousness that I normally would. I didn't get the job. But I'm not upset about it either. At every interview, their offices are filled with men in their mid-twenties. I probably wasn't a good fit anyway.

Just after my interview

To the left, is a picture just after my interview. My coloring is brighter. My skin is clearer. (I've suffered with acne for years.) My face is regaining some of the definition that I had in my younger years. I didn't see it till one of my friends told me it looks like I'm glowing.

Wow. That's my testimony. Working out changes everything. I feel better. I've got more energy when I stay on top of my workouts. My face looks like I'm lit up inside. People think I'm younger. I even think in different terms. I'm reclaiming my house. I'm going back to grad school in a week. I'm doing things I'd never dreamed I could do again. It all started by stepping into that gym and signing up. Now, I'm becoming a different woman.

It sounds so simple, doesn't it? Just go. "Transform your body, and it'll transform your life." I think it says that on the doors of the gym, but it's true. So what's next? I think I'm going to take the 12 week challenge for weight loss at the gym next, but I'll have to write it out a bit because I'm also training for a 5K. I think it'll just mean that I'm doing more walking than the average person. Let's do this!!!

Please, share with me your stories. I'd love to hear from you. I'm sure there are somethings I've over looked. I want to learn more. Just use the comments section to share your encouraging story with others. It's not rocket science. Just go. Your body will thank you for it.

Laurie Epps is featured in dozens of news articles, and literary journals both on and off the web. Laurie is also included in a number of short story anthologies, and does some ghostwriting for prominent professionals nationwide. Laurie is also active in a number of writer support groups and networks with writers from all over the country.


Laurie is a single mom, and is still raising her two youngest daughters, Ellen and Chloe. Laurie’s grown daughter, Melanie resides in California. Laurie is also a proud momma of three furry-babies; Laurie has turned in more than one manuscript with cat fur on it. When not teaching or writing, Laurie gets in as much beach time as her budget will allow, loves to attend the Opera and Ballet, and she enjoys cross-stitch & knitting. Laurie’s sports teams are the Atlanta Braves and the Dallas Cowboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...