Wednesday, July 15, 2015

My 5K Workout Plan, Part II


By Laurie Epps

Some of you have asked me for an update, so by request, here it is. I've plateaued weight-wise. I've not lost an ounce in 5 weeks. But I've kept at it, and I still make it to the gym 4-5 days a week. I know to change it, I've got to change something that I'm currently doing.

Many people assume that if you fight with weight, that you overeat. In my case, this couldn't be farther from the truth. I do something even worse.... I only eat once a day. It's true. Doing this only tells your body that you're starving, so your fat cells will hold onto every calorie. I've read about this concept for years in diet books ranging from Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell to Skinny Bitch, I know this to be true. Yet, using the American excuse, "I'm too busy," I still do it. I also suffer with thyroid disease and starvation only extrapolates my symptoms.

I've discovered this dietary app called My Fitness Pal, it not only figures out your caloric intake for the day, but it also offsets your workout with your intake. The app is free, and you can even set it up to give you text alerts to remind you to log in (or in my case, to eat). I'm still learning about the app, and as I learn, I'll share it with all of you.

Starting this week, I'm eating more often. Granola bars with protein at breakfast with hot tea and greek yogurt. Then I have a sensible lunch, and smaller dinner. I'm also snacking on fruits and veggies. Plus, I'm swearing off fast food. (Much to the chagrin of my six year old.) Vitamins have also now been added to my health & fitness plan.

I also stubbed my toe. Now this is common place, but for me it flared an old injury from my dancing/running days. My toenail is now hanging on by a thread, and I predict that it'll fall off any day now. It also make postpone my 5K, but I'll only have to participate a couple of months later. The shooting pains in my foot are beyond my control, and in my mind, as long as I don't quit, the timetable is irrelevant. I'm still committed to do this.


But as promised, this week I'll highlight Weeks 3 & 4 of my 5K Workout Plan.

Note: I’m planning on walking my first 5K. I’m not an expert, but I trained extensively as a young woman. I’m applying those concepts to my workout plan. If you’d like to run your first 5K, I’d suggest adding a walk-run combo during week three and beyond.


Using the Mayo Clinics 5KRun: Seven Week Training Guide as a model, I’m extending this out to my 12 Week Plan to get ready for a 5K Walk/Run this October and share with my readers my results.

If the past month is any indication, I’m going to alter the plan a bit to incorporate a flex day. What is a flex day? It means that I will either go easy that day if I’ve stayed on track, or that it will be a makeup day for any fitness that I’ve missed. Please keep this in mind when reading this blog.

Weeks 3 & 4

Monday                Walk 20 minutes on the treadmill
                           (+ Yoga)

Tuesday               Walk for 20 minutes
                           (+ Weights/ Upper Body)

Wednesday           Walk for 20 minutes
                           (+ Weights/ Lower Body)

Thursday              Walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill
                           (+ Yoga)

Friday                  Easy or Flex Day

Saturday              Walk 2 miles (Week 3)
                           & Walk 2.5 miles (Week 4)
                           Option: Alternate walking/running

I hope this blog will encourage you, and please join the conversation.

Laurie Epps is featured in dozens of news articles, and literary journals both on and off the web. Laurie is also included in a number of short story anthologies, and does some ghostwriting for prominent professionals nationwide. Laurie is also active in a number of writer support groups and networks with writers from all over the country.

Laurie is a single mom, and is still raising her two youngest daughters, Ellen and Chloe. Laurie’s grown daughter, Melanie resides in California. Laurie is also a proud momma of three furry-babies; Laurie has turned in more than one manuscript with cat fur on it. When not teaching or writing, Laurie gets in as much beach time as her budget will allow, loves to attend the Opera and Ballet, and she enjoys cross-stitch & knitting. Laurie’s sports teams are the Atlanta Braves and the Dallas Cowboys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...