Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Importance of Fitness Goals

Just Before My Yoga Class
By Laurie Epps

My weight loss has plateaued. But my overall fitness has improved. I've tried a new yoga class that meets twice a week. I'm really starting to recognize folks at the gym and really enjoy myself. I always feel better after a trip to the gym.

I believe from my research, that yoga really does a body good. This is not only true because of the relaxation and meditation component, but also because it gives you overall awareness of your body. What many people aren't aware of is that there are 14 Types of Yoga. Most gym's, like mine, offer Hatha Yoga which is very fluid and is meant to burn calories. When you're new to working out, it might be hard to keep up, but slowly you'll notice improvements.
Just Before My Yoga Class

Actually, I practiced yoga for close to 10 years, but after my three miscarriages, a number of surgeries, and the birth of my youngest, I stopped practicing yoga. But I think those first goals are key, and when you make them, remember not to compare yourself to the yogi sitting next to you in class that's great at it. 

These goals can be very simple things, but the basic principle is to do it a little better than you did last time. For example, now I can bring my knees to my chest. I really felt awful when I couldn't do that simple task the first few classes. But now I can. 

In My Interview Clothes
I'm one of those people who works better when I'm striving for something. I had a second interview up in a neighboring town, and I was just craving a Firehouse Sub. That simple hankering led me to a running store that was just next store. Although I've not run since I was about 20, I walked in the store anyway. I actually had some anxiety about it. But I've gotten to a point in life where I keep talking about myself in the past tense. "I used to love to run. I used to love to dance. I used to love to swim. I used to love to bike. I used to love to go hiking." As a divorcee, I'm learning new things about myself, and getting in touch with my new likes and dislikes. All and all, it's pretty cool because I'm discovering things about myself I never knew before. My entire pep talk that day consisted of, "You're just going to have to bring your life out of the past tense."

So I did. I breezed through the doors of the running store even though I knew that none of the clothes inside would fit me. They probably had some expensive running shoes that would, but not the clothes. Mainly, I went inside for information. I know that most local type running stores are on the pulse of the local running community. I felt more encouraged just being in there. I loved talking with the older gentleman that owned the store. Cheerfully, he gave me brochures of upcoming events, and a free running magazine. It has been full of local running clubs, fitness articles, and upcoming 5Ks or Marathons. 

This gentleman was so kind and encouraging, I decided then and there to enter into a 5K. Being the onset of summer, I did find one this coming fall in the mountains.To view my choice, check out Bethel Half Marathon and 5K which is happening near Asheville, NC this October. I knew that I didn't want to try to race in the heat. I don't really care if I've gotta walk my first 5K, as long as I finish it. 

Won't you join me and cheer me on?

Laurie Epps is featured in dozens of news articles, and literary journals both on and off the web. Laurie is also included in a number of short story anthologies, and does some ghostwriting for prominent professionals nationwide. Laurie is also active in a number of writer support groups and networks with writers from all over the country.


Laurie is a single mom, and is still raising her two youngest daughters, Ellen and Chloe. Laurie’s grown daughter, Melanie resides in California. Laurie is also a proud momma of three furry-babies; Laurie has turned in more than one manuscript with cat fur on it. When not teaching or writing, Laurie gets in as much beach time as her budget will allow, loves to attend the Opera and Ballet, and she enjoys cross-stitch & knitting. Laurie’s sports teams are the Atlanta Braves and the Dallas Cowboys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...