Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Rough Start

By Laurie Epps

Aldous Huxley once said, "Hell isn't merely paved with good intentions; it's walled and roofed with them. Yes, and furnished too."

So I'm not quite three weeks into my fitness challenge, and it's not starting off as I planned it in my head. Still, I'm trying to remain optimistic, and realize that I'm just experiencing a setback. But I made a promise to my readers, so regardless of any shame, I'm going to post my progress as is.
Week 1: January 12-18, 2015
Week 1: Preliminary Stuff
Originally, this started off as a plan to not only loose weight and get healthier, but also as bonding time for my daughter and I. First, we had to pick a gym, and that was easy enough, my friend works in one here in town. Second, we had to sign up, and lastly, we had to get a workout plan designed for us.
The original plan was to workout out two days a week till the end of January, and up it to three days a week the first week of February. So far, it's not going to happen that way. That first week, we went in on a Monday, signed up, and went into the cinema room to get in some cardio. My daughter stayed a little while longer and stretched out in one of the classrooms. Later that day, my daughter went back, and her boyfriend signed up as well. 
We went back in that Thursday, but the trainer scheduled us all during one time slot. We never did get to workout or learn a routine that day. We just sat and talked with him for an hour, and then I had to go pick up my little one.

Week 2: January 19-25, 2015
Week 2
My daughter was already going to the gym with her boyfriend, and I realized that I'm probably on my own in this endeavor. My plan was to nag her that week, and see what she does. I realized that I'd need to be prepared to strike out on my own if necessary. My daughter just wants to be in better shape like she was when she was dancing with the Carolina Ballet Theatre in Greenville, SC. I, however, have over 100 pounds to lose. It's not going to come off by itself. I've got to make the commitment to myself, and my health. Everyone tells me I could develop diabetes, but I'm more worried about heart problems since it runs on both sides of my family. Also, I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse at the young age of 15, but I was told that I'm no longer in the perimeters for it when I was 37 years old.
On Tuesday, I was on the way home from Girl Scouts with my youngest, and I just knew I was sick. The next morning, my little one woke up sick too. I sent her to school, but she got home from school, and climbed straight into bed. That evening, I knew we were done for, and not only did I make an appointment for the doctor Thursday morning, but I also suspended all workouts till the next week.

Week 3: January 26-February 1, 2015
Week 3
Dutifully, I went to the gym that Monday and did some cardio even though I was still really congested. Tuesday, I woke up with not only the congestion, but a deep cough and abdominal pain. So again, I stayed home and opted to work on my studies.
I still hope to go back this week, but it'll depend on my deep, and painful cough. I'm losing my voice, and it hurts to talk. But I've decided that I won't be discouraged. Colds happen, and like it or not, I need to get well. But never fear, I'll be back next week for another update.
So instead of looking at this as a negative thing, I'm going to look at it through the lens of Monte Irvin's quote, "Early in life I learned, just through observation, that right always wins out over wrong. If a person has good intentions in his heart and wants to do the right thing, then there are certain ways that any obstacle can be overcome." 

Thanks for stopping by.
Laurie

Laurie Epps is a recent graduate of Anderson University majoring in Creative Writing. Already Laurie is most published as a feature article writer, essayist, and poet.  A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. Columns include: Monday Morning Book Club, and Thoughtful Thursdays, a column dedicated to the fine art of poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...