Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Isle of Innisfree

By Laurie Epps

For the next few months, I'd like to try something a bit different for this column. While this will remain a column that is directly dedicated to the fine art of poetry, we're going to begin to talk about the masters of poetry. Who are they? What made their poetry so lasting? These questions and more will be covered by this column.

In light of St. Patricks Day occurring in March, we'll begin with some very classic, and timeless Irish poets. Feel free to nominate a poet in the comments section below, if there is a poet that you'd like to see specifically, for Thoughtful Thursdays own version of Dead Poets Society.




William Butler Yeats, in my mind, is one of the most famous of the Irish poets. Born in Dublin in 1865, the son of a prominent lawyer and portrait painter. Most probably, he would of been considered upper middle class by today's standards. His first volume of verse appeared when he was 22, in 1887.

In 1922, Yeats was abducted into the Irish House Senate, and won the pulitzer prize for literature in 1923.  Yeats passed away in 1939. To learn more information about William Butler Yeats, click here.

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight’s all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet’s wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart’s core.
 
To hear William Butler Yeats read this poem, click the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...