Friday, August 5, 2016

The Hagood-Mauldin House

Pickens, SC Square
By Laurie Epps

Something about the town of Pickens just spoke to me, and my curiosity of this place led me to the historic home called The Hagood-Mauldin House. Since I gave my friend a ride out there, she graciously indulged my girlish whim of following my call to my first walk back in time.

Fashion:

Dress -- Lane Bryant
Earrings -- TJMaxx
Watch & Purse -- New York & Co.
Walking Sandals by Sketchers -- Rack Room Shoes


The Hagood-Mauldin House
The first owner was a public official, lawyer, and planter. His name was James Earle Hagood. The home itself was built in 1856 in the old town of Pickens. However, Pickens and Oconee Counties were separated in 1868. At that time, the house was disassembled and moved to its present location in Pickens, SC. The movers numbered each brick and board to place it back together systematically.


It is believed by most historians that when the house was moved in 1868 and again in 1886, Mr. Hagood made restorations and improvements to the house and grounds. When Judge Thomas J. Mauldin moved into the house in 1904 he added the classical revival style porch that wraps around the house today. 


Judge Mauldin also added a smaller house in the same style just in back of the residence and made it a law office. 


The Hagood-Mauldin House joined the National Registry of Historic homes on October 9, 1997

To learn more about the history of the Hagood-Mauldin House in Pickens, you may visit the historical society website at: 
https://sites.google.com/site/pickenscountyhistoricalsociety/hagood-mauldin-house



Probably my favorite picture of myself in years
Gardens
The gardens really spoke to me as an artist and lover of beauty. Most of my fashion pictures are in the back of the home. Since my visit, I've learned that the house is only open for tours on the third Saturday of every month for a nominal fee of $5.


I found the gardens and grounds to be very well preserved with numerous photo opportunities. When I went, there were lilies, roses, and primroses in bloom. I suspect the dried baseball flowers in the corner of the yard to be an impressive hydrangea display if you arrive in early June. There were also a number of bulbs that should bloom in the springtime.


The Upstate Heritage Quilt Trail
Started at a historical home in Walhalla, there is a self-guided tour you can take through the Upstate of South Carolina. What started with one quilt to distinguish its home has now grown to 100 quilt panels throughout the Upstate, so I will display them on my blog whenever possible.





For more information or to view the house:
Address: 104 N. Lewis Street, Pickens, SC 29671
Or call:(864)608-2834


Laurie Epps is featured in dozens of news articles, and literary journals both on and off the web. Laurie is also included in a number of short story anthologies, and does some ghostwriting for prominent professionals nationwide. Laurie is also active in a number of writer support groups and networks with writers from all over the country.


Laurie is a single mom with two grown daughters, and a little one still at home. Laurie has a passion for art, literature, history, museums, and the theater. A self-proclaimed fashionista, Laurie finds beauty in everything. When not teaching or writing, Laurie gets in as much beach time as her budget will allow, and spends her leisure time with family or hiking. This particular column, gives Laurie an excuse to indulge in the past times she loves.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...