Sunday, September 28, 2014

Changing It Up

By Laurie Epps

Hello, my dears. Pull up a chair with your favorite hot beverage and let's talk.

I've had this column for close to three years, and it's time to make some changes to it, don't you think? Since graduation, the purpose of this blog is changing, and I'm going to be revamping it's look. However, that doesn't mean that I've got to stop posting. If you think it's a different blog when you post one week, it just may be that I'm making some formatting changes.

In the last little bit, I'm realizing that I too, have had some major changes in the last three years. I've gone up and down in weight, and I've graduated college. I'm still adjusting to life out in the real world. I've gone from being a wife to being a single mother. I've gone from being a student and intern to writing professional.  Sometimes it's elating much like the cliche ideal of the mountain top experience, but other times it feels like I'm running on empty.

Luckily, for every empty tank there's a nearby gas station, and every different disappointment there's a new beginning. For me, my rock has been my faith. Without God, I'd not have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and the tremendous privilege of raising my two daughters that are still at home. I know that I'm embarking on a new season of my life since nothing in my life is familiar (Ref: Ecclesiastes 3:1-8). Shouldn't my blog reflect that? I thought so too.

Due to time constraints, I'm moving my Monday Morning Book Club to Tuesdays, and I'm in search of the perfect name for it too. If you've got any suggestions, please share them with me below. We'll still finish up Edie's wonderful book on Social Media, but at it's conclusion, we'll refocus and talk about writing technique. Of course, this will lead to discussions on books about writing, but when appropriate, it will also mean you'll see some columns that are more freelance in nature where they're not based on a book at all.

Well my dears, as we're at the beginning of fall, I recommend that you get out there and get lost somewhere. No, I don't recommend being lost literally, but instead metaphorically. Take your kids to a pumpkin patch, take a drive in the mountains to see the fall colors, or head to Starbucks for a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Who knows, you might find a writer working feverishly in the corner of Starbucks, or with a small notebook jotting down notes while hiking the hills. 

Till we meet again... Hopefully on Tuesday, October 7, 2014 with my new writing column.

Blessings,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...