Sunday, August 3, 2014

Friendship Day 2014

Friends taking a selfie
By Laurie Epps

Friendship Day was established in the 1940s as a Hallmark kind of holiday. During WWII, the United States refocused on the war and nationalism which placed Friendship Day off the radar for most Americans.

Believe it or not, the character Winnie the Pooh was named ambassador for friendship in the United Nations. With Pooh's popularity, it re-instated the dormant holiday and they recognized July 30th as the International Friendship Day in 2011.

For the month of August, I'd like to acknowledge some special friendships.

My friend, Adam Murphy & I in the Friendship Garden in San Diego, CA
Who knew back in our choir days with the New Dawn Singers back in 1989 that I was making a lifelong friend? We had our ups and downs, and he has been by my side with more consistency than anyone else. Just on my end, we have survived three marriages, cancer twice (two types), and parental loss. No matter what life has thrown at me, you've stayed by me, my friend. I love you. There is little I would not agree to do for you. We may be a continent apart, but a piece of me you carry with you everywhere. 

Laurie Epps is a recent graduate of Anderson University majoring in Creative Writing. Already Laurie is most published as a feature article writer, essayist, and poet.  A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. Columns include: Monday Morning Book Club, and Thoughtful Thursdays, a column dedicated to the fine art of poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...