Sunday, July 27, 2014

Reconnecting With Family

Me and my brother
By Laurie Epps

Sometimes it's good to reconnect with family. I've been away from my office for quite a few weeks, but I'm ready to take on the challenge of going back to my regular schedule. 

I don't get a chance to see my brother very often, but when I heard he'll be in my state, I jumped on the chance for a visit. We caught up on things that have been happening in each other's lives, and all against the beautiful backdrop of Charleston.


I just love the architecture down in the low-country. It's neat to walk down the historic streets, and know that the foundations of our country are laid in every cobblestone. Now that I've been introduced to it, I know I'll be back. So take time to soak it all in with some sweet tea with mint in it, and learn about those that went before us. Charleston is truly a treat to the senses. If you haven't been, you should surely go.

The girls and I at Fort Sumter
The following day, my girls and I went out to Fort Sumter. Fort Sumter is only accessible by boat, so allow a full afternoon if you want to venture out to the site. Also, it's more expensive to go there than I would of thought. For the three of us, it was a $47 voyage. They do play an automated tour of the harbor both ways when you're aboard. Another helpful note: bring some water. The only water at the fort is one overused drinking fountain. 

To find out more information, visit their site: 
http://fortsumtertours.com/

Laurie Epps is a recent graduate of Anderson University majoring in Creative Writing. Already Laurie is most published as a feature article writer, essayist, and poet.  A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. Columns include: Monday Morning Book Club, and Thoughtful Thursdays, a column dedicated to the fine art of poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...