Sunday, May 4, 2014

Life Interupted

Photo compliments of Alexes Ciardi
By Laurie Epps

I'm so sorry that I didn't have blogs up for all of last week. (Apr.27- May 3, 2014) I've been slammed with year end final projects, and graduation. 

The last assignments of senior year were killer. Most of them packed a punch of at least a quarter of my grade. Not passing anything would mean that I wouldn't graduate.

It was overwhelming. I've not had a decent night's sleep in my four years at Anderson University. But it was worth it. Now I can say that I'm a college graduate.
Graduation Day 2014

I thought that I'd cry, but I didn't. I wasn't able to find most of my friends and professors I wanted a picture with. My family wasn't there except two of my daughters. But it's over, what a relief. Yet, I never lost sight that my two daughters were watching me. By example, I wanted to show them that they can be anything that they set out their mind to be.

I don't apologize for going to college. I've wanted to go since I was just nine years old. Finally, I'm through that chapter of my life. I know that I'm starting a new season. I hope that I can do something professionally that I just love. I hope to know, and grow in Christ. I hope to do things I never dreamed possible. But most of all, I want to be someone that can help all of my daughters. 

Leaving Anderson University with my youngest
I've been training for this day for many years. My college career has taken me nearly seven years. I never gave up, and at the very least, I hope I showed my daughters the importance of perseverance. If I failed a class, I just took another. I just kept going until I was through it. I hope this training will give me the skills to make a better life for them.


John 13:15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
"Now go out into the world, and do as we have trained you to do, being disciples of Jesus Christ."
~President Whittaker, addressing the students the night before graduation




Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. Columns include: Monday Morning Book Club, and Thoughtful Thursdays, a column dedicated to the fine art of poetry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...