Sunday, January 26, 2014

ACFW: Anderson Workshop

With Edie Melson, one of the most influential women in my life
By Laurie Epps

I can't tell you how valuable going to the Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference has been for me. I've networked with writers from all over the country, learned new skills of my craft, forged friendships, and created job leads for myself that I'd not have made otherwise.

One of the tips I learned right away is that networking is essential for us as writers. Many of us are shy, and it's why we're writers in the first place. Writing gives us a forum to share our ideas. As many who know and love me, I'm not shy in the slightest, but I empathize with those that are.




A great nugget that I've learned here recently, a great way to network is to join a national group that can go with us wherever fate takes us. Here in Anderson, SC, the national group ACFW (American Fiction Fiction Writers) meets the last Saturday of every month. 

Our local chapter is headed by Elva Martin. To email her for more information, click here. This week's guest speaker was my beloved mentor, Edie Melson. She spoke to us about making money writing articles while we're working on a novel. Many of us are in that boat, but it is very doable, and we're all there to encourage one another. 

If you're not in a writers group, you should find one to share ideas, and have others critique your work. You'll be both encouraged, and more well rounded as a writer plus you'll make some new friends. 

If you'd like more information on finding a local group in your area, please leave a comment below. Better yet, if networking with other writers has helped you, please share with us your story below. Thank you.

Blessings,
Laurie

Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. Columns include: Monday Morning Book Club, and Thoughtful Thursdays, a column dedicated to the fine art of poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...