Thursday, March 7, 2013

Thoughtful Thursdays: A Poetic Column

What defines a lyric poem?

Lyric poetry is when the writer is using first person to express thoughts and feelings of the poet. This term is coined by the use of the lyrical, or melody-like sound of the notes the various words sing out when the poem is recited. Examples of a lyrical poem would also include Sonnets (Feb. 2013 Columns) or Ode's (not covered yet)



Most often when I attend classes in college, or bring my poems to writer's groups, I am accused correctly of being a lyrical poet. This is my favorite form of poetry, and so it is only natural that I would start with what I love to write and to read.

What makes lyrical poetry so beautiful is the notes it creates using iambic pentameter. While I don't claim to be the greatest poet that ever lived, I would like to take this opportunity to showcase some of my work. I also hope to showcase other writers I come across that use this style as well.


We all have our favorites when it comes to literature and especially poetry. The poetry book from my first blog on my Thoughtful Thursday column was almost memorized by the time I was 17 years old from sheer repetition. However, one of my favorite poems as an adult, I first heard when watching the Dead Poets Society in the 1980s. Not only did it cause me to rifle through my things in search of my beloved book, it got me into my local bookstore and library hoping to devour more poetry.



She Walks in Beauty

BY LORD BYRON (GEORGE GORDON)
She walks in beauty, like the night
   Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
   Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to that tender light
   Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
   Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
   Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
   How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
   So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
   But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
   A heart whose love is innocent!

Laurie Epps is a non-fiction author, essayist, editor, and poet living in Anderson, South Carolina. A seeker of beauty, her is dream is to travel the world one day and tell the many stories of those she meets. To read more of Laurie's stories visit her Tuesday column dedicated to writing at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...