Friday, September 6, 2019

The Tanglewood Mansion


By Laurie Bower Epps
On a stifling hot summer day, I opted for a local adventure. Adjacent to the Pendleton Public Library are the ruins of the Tanglewood Mansion. A few years ago, you could balance yourself on the foundation walls. But the former mansion has been enclosed by a fence for visitor safety. 


Pictured in front of the Pendleton Library
Fashion

Although it was a picturesque day, the temps were over 100 degrees with about 90% humidity. Not only did it cause my princess curls to droop, but it did convince me to do a last minute wardrobe change into this cool Julia dress from LulaRoe. The Julia dresses are the coolest outfit choices in my closet, and they even have pockets! I love the graduated coloration of the pattern, and it was the perfect day to be in cool blue. I had hoped to do a red, white, and blue theme for the month of July, but due to the extreme heat this summer I just didn't get out for my blog's like I would've wanted to do. I found my cute hat at Cracker Barrel last year. I look for excuses to wear it every summer. My shoes are a great example of when online shopping goes well. These sandals are so comfortable, and I bought them off QVC. The brand name is Alegria, and the pattern is called Impressionists.


History

Tanglewood Mansion today is really comprised of ruins. Originally, the home was built by John Baylis Earle Sloan the Tanglewood Mansion was burnt to the ground the first time in 1908. But in 1910, it was rebuilt in the same location using the original columns and foundation. The home stayed in the Sloan family until the 1950s, and was converted to a nursing home. Unfortunately, in 1970 the home burned down again but fell into the hands of the Pendleton Public Library. The ruins with the grand staircase, columns, and oven still intact can be viewed by onlookers at a safe distance from the gates that surround the former structure. The columns and foundation have been preserved as a national historic site.


Location

Next door or adjacent to the Pendleton Public Library, the Tanglewood Mansion reminds us of our not so distant past. It's located on a main thoroughfare called Mechanic Street, a mere quarter of a mile away from the Liberty Hall Bed and Breakfast featured on May 31, 2019. It's also located about a mile up the street from Pendleton Square, or a short 15 minute drive from the football champions the Clemson University Tigers.








Pendleton Public Library 
650 S. Mechanic Street
Pendleton, SC 29670
864-646-3045
http://www.andersonlibrary.org/location/pendleton/




I hope you enjoyed taking a little step back in time with me, only, why don't you stop by? We'll be sure to bless your little heart, and pour you a tall glass of sweet tea. Until next time, fashion-love's...

Stay fashionable & Be Blessed,
Laurie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...