Friday, February 2, 2018

An Afternoon With Kate & Jan


By Laurie Bower Epps

I'm a bit of a museum-rat. Frequently, I'm purusing local websites to see what exhibitions are in town or in nearby cities such as Greenville, Atlanta, Columbia, Charlotte or Asheville. Can you imagine my surprise when the Katherine Hepburn and Jan Brett exhibitions were at the local Upcountry History Museum?

So on this balmy winter's day, my youngest and I set out to visit some of cinematic movie great memories, and the children's books wonderful pages created by Jan Brett. A perfect combination for me and my little one. I've loved and followed the unrelated Hepburns for years. Jan Brett offered up some beautifully illustrated books for my daughter. We were both mesmerized.



Katherine Hepburn

Born in May of 1907, Hepburn had a full and rich life with her 96 years. Spanning an over 60 year film career, she made some of movies most iconic moments. Hepburn held her own next to the most sought after men in Hollywood such as Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, and Peter O'Toole. She had a short lived (6 year) marriage, and a notorious affair with Spencer Tracy. 

As a classic movie buff, I'd have to say that Katherine Hepburn brought forth a lot of integrity to her acting. From my favorite movies such as The African Queen, Summertime, or Bringing Up Baby, her characters leap off the screen. Her attention to keeping her favorite things about her were especially interesting. She actually had her shoes and pants specially made to her specifications. The shoe cobbler had a cast of her foot cast on display, and made her shoes for more than 40 years. Her seamstress made her custom slacks for close to 30 years. 

Fashion

Sweater Jacket, 
Lace Embellished Sweater,
& Charcoal Tuxedo Slacks
~ Lane Bryant

Black Ballet Flats by Montana
~ Dillard's

I wore something sensible because that's how I saw Kate. Katherine Hepburn always came across as someone who was down to earth with loads of common sense. When interviewed, she deepened that belief for me. I don't imagine her spending hours in front of the mirror or her weekends scouring the local malls for the perfect pair of shoes. That just wasn't her. What was enduring was her integrity, commitment to her art, and wonderfully executed transparency.




Jan Brett

Jan Brett was born on December 1, 1949 and is a well known children's author and illustrator. She's most known for her attention to detail in her pen & ink with watercolors illustrations. Her stories are mostly folktales. The first ones were out of Russia and Scandavia, but her new releases range from Africa, to Central America, to China. Her best sellers include: The Mitten, The Hat, and Gingerbread Baby.

My daughter loved looking at her beautiful artwork and begged me to read story after story in the bookstore. I was so relieved that she wanted a book from the gift shop instead of a toy. All and all, it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

Regular Exhibitions

Since most of their exhibitions I'm familiar with, my daughter hadn't seen most of it. I also wanted to take a picture with bubblegum since today marks the day for National Bubblegum Day. I chose to take my picture with local legend Shoeless Joe Jackson. It ended up being perfect foreshadowing since next week, we'll retrace the life and history of the famous baseball legend.

To quote Katherine Hepburn, "If you obey all the rules, you'll miss out on all the fun." So I encourage you, fashion-loves, go find your fun, and if possible, share it with someone you love.

Till next time, 
Be fashionable & be blessed.
Laurie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...