Monday, August 17, 2015

A Tale of Two Valentines

Progress in the Kitchen the Next Day
By Laurie Epps

I want to give you an update of my kitchen. It looks better, and smells better. Now I can see my reflection in my sink. Slowly, it's getting there. I still have a way to go, but I can hardly wait for my kids to go back to school. I've got big plans to purge their stuff. We love them, but don't they make you crazy holding onto everything like it's treasure?

Well, today ladies, we're going to talk about things that we just don't need. Not just physical things we hold onto, but those feelings of inadequacy and betrayal that weigh us down. Sometimes, it can be tangible too. That physical item around the house that you just can't seem to get rid of. For me, this is where the emotional work is.

A Tale of Two Valentines

Do you remember last week when I told you all about the all the Valentines that were in the drawer of my old coffee table?  When it was all said and done, there were only two. I flipped out over two measly Valentines. Doesn't hardly seem worth it, does it?

My Two Valentines
So I dutifully went through every card, just for identity. I didn't read every syllable of them, I merely put them into piles. At the end, I took out the two Valentines. I read them first, and I surprised at what I discovered.

His words of "love" were actually written in a way that sounded like they were written under duress. As if to say, "I'm doing this because I feel I have to do this to keep you happy." But truly, I want a man that wants to do those things for me, not because he necessarily has to do them.

But I had a lot of healing from throwing his Valentines in the garbage. I remembered how much our heavenly Father loves me. You know, he loves you too and more than some guy ever could. It's promised to us in the bible in Psalm 136 that His love endures forever. In a way, I said goodbye to those measly two Valentines, but I had to cling to Jesus to do it.

When someone's about to come over, what do you do in preparation for them? Well, usually first you pick up, throw things out, and clean. Sometimes, you'll even buy guest towels or some of their favorite foods in preparation for their arrival. When I threw out my Valentines, I was ushering out what was, and making room for what will be.

In 1 Corinthians 7:15-16, it is written: 

15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?  


I went onto think about the woman at the well, and Jesus promised her another husband even though she'd had four husbands. If God could do that for her, why couldn't He do that for me? Although some scholars speculate that Jesus meant Himself, would that be so bad? God has been a better provider in every way. Emotionally, physically, financially, and definitely spiritually. 

But making room for the new, yet unknown future is part of the healing process. Finally, I surrender Lord, and I open my heart for what will be.

Laurie Epps is featured in dozens of news articles, and literary journals both on and off the web. Laurie is also included in a number of short story anthologies, and does some ghostwriting for prominent professionals nationwide. Laurie is also active in a number of writer support groups and networks with writers from all over the country.

Laurie is a single mom, and is still raising her two youngest daughters, Ellen and Chloe. Laurie’s grown daughter, Melanie resides in California. Laurie is also a proud momma of three furry-babies; Laurie has turned in more than one manuscript with cat fur on it. When not teaching or writing, Laurie gets in as much beach time as her budget will allow, loves to attend the Opera and Ballet, and she enjoys cross-stitch & knitting. Laurie’s sports teams are the Atlanta Braves and the Dallas Cowboys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...