Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Internet

By Kenneth A O'Shaughnessy
The Original Internet Explorer Logo


We all have a love\hate relationship with the internet. We can’t imagine life without it, unless it’s when we’re telling our kids how bad we had it back in the good old days. I don’t know about you, but I rarely pick up pen and paper anymore, or read a book that isn’t formatted for screen. Virtually all of my writing is done and distributed by bits and bytes.




Here’s a poem that tries to capture that longing for the electronic pipeline to the outside world, our high expectations, and our oft-lamented reality:



If I only had an internet
I'd search for everything
My brain would grow by leaps and bounds
And knowledge would be king
Oh the high degrees that I would get
If just I had an internet

If I only had an internet
I'd contact everyone
Strangers would all become my friends
And boy would we have fun
Oh the relationships that I would get
If just I had an internet

If I only had an internet
I'd watch a lot of shows
Docudramas, TV, cartoons
And stuff God only knows
Oh the sleep I wouldn't get
If just I had an internet

If I only had an internet
I'd wish that I had none
I'd complain because I have no time
And nothing can get done
Oh the whines that you would get
If just I had an internet



Kenneth A O'Shaughnessy is a freelance writer and poet living in the upstate of South Carolina with his wife and four children. To find his daily poetry entries, log onto: 

or find him on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-OShaughnessy/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunflower Photobook

Sunflowers Captured By My iPhone 8 By Laurie Bower Epps I knew I was in need of headshots since my last photoshoot was in either 2012 ...